Help Needed Another I'm Smoking Thread

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a TON of white smoke in my exhaust right now. Engine is running a little rough at idle as well, though this rough idle has slowly been getting worse over the past year or so. But the smoke occured almost immediatly in substantial amounts ater a filter change on my WVO system. My EGT's have also climed slightly over the past couple of years and now are around 50-100 degrees higher in the same application depending on speed. Some of this could be attributed to the 285 tires instead of the stock 265 but probably not all of it.

So I've owned my truck since 150K. I'm now at approx 230K. I have been running WVO about 50K of those additional 80K miles I put on it. I've moved last year and was just running #2 diesel. With the spike I have made a switch to WMO of which I can easily get. The first 50 gallons I had not problems. I refilled my tank and switched out my WVO filter (which allows air in the system each time and unfortuneatly has to be expelled thru the injectors). Almost immediatly I began to expeirence extremely high amounts of White smoke duriing all driving conditions. After a small period of idling, like while at a stop light, and then giving it fuel with the acclerator pedal the pume of white smoke is so subtantial I can hardly see the car behind me. Smoke now occurs during idle, cruise, or full throttle. My brother has 1Ks of miles on WMO so I don't think that was the problem. I'm guessing it is the mutliple times I have ran air thru my injectors and this was the final straw and at least one of them has been substantially damanged and is *pissing* fuel into my cylinder.

Any thoughts on this? Where should I start? Can't really afford to fix right now so might have to park it and fix a bit later. If it is injectors I would like to upgrade at the same time but those appear to be substantially more expensive than stockers.

Thanks and I can give more detail if one needs it. You guys have been a great help and I wish I got on here more often, then for when I'm broke.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
sounds like an injector problem.white smoke= excess fuel or blown head gasket.never heard of a psd poppin a gasket.egts being up i doubt is from the tires.take it somewhere and have a contribution test done on it.but if you been runnin it like this for a while you may be in for a bigger problem.i melted a piston when mine did this with a cracked injector nozzle

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like an injector problem.white smoke= excess fuel or blown head gasket.never heard of a psd poppin a gasket.egts being up i doubt is from the tires.take it somewhere and have a contribution test done on it.but if you been runnin it like this for a while you may be in for a bigger problem.i melted a piston when mine did this with a cracked injector nozzle

I only have about 5 days of driving it like this.. total of about 100 miles I would say.

What is a contribution test? Where would I get one? I'm in Podunk America where unless it has something to do with picking peanuts you are SOL. Skilled labor forgot this part of the country.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
contribution test runs a test on the injectors with it running.it shuts cylinders off,brings them back and it has to recover back to normal idle in a certain amount of time.itll tell you wich cylinder/s are the problem.you need to take it to a shop that has a good brand scanner,not the autozone cheapies.pretty much any repair shop should be able to do it as you cant work on these newer vehicles without one.

mine was only run for about a week before completely spittin out the nozzle to the point it smoked worse than a bus.letting air run through the injectors is a very bad thing.they use the fuel as a cushion for the needle and nozzle.with no fuel in there its very likely to crack a nozzle

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I knew it was bad for the injectors, I was getting away with it for so long though I thought I would be ok. I'm pretty sure that is what happened here.

I was just driving my back up car to work today (my LX450) and it broke down on me, hence here checking in. I also have another car I just restored yet JUST not quite done....I own 6 cars and only one works that is here :eek: Thankfully the PSD is as reliable as it is. I'm sure it would have continued on past 300K if I hadn't of screwed with it. But I've calcualated I've saved over 10K dollars in fuel sooooooo I can't be to angry for my lazyness to make the system better.

Should I buy one of those auto enginuitys to do the check myself? I see some drastic price differences in them online though.

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
not sure on the price of the AE but is it worth the money to you for maybe just one use on the truck?or would you be using on your other vehicles?id say its worth having incase you need it.everybody should have the ability to scan and diagnose thier own vehicles if they can afford it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
AE works on almost every vehicle. You will need to buy the vehicle software package to get the details of the vehicle.

Dave

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

I will probably look into that then as I do have quite a few rigs. Many times I've wished I had an OBII reader.

Trying to trim the herd down. Got my backup LX450 running today again so that is good. Gives me some time to figure out what to do with my F250.

So here comes the hard part. While I'm in there should I be looking to upgrade the injectors and maybe some other parts while I'm on a roll? My brother just put a chip in on his stock truck from TW and he said he was blown away with the difference. I'm thinking about converting the truck back over to diesel only and taking the rear tank out and or putting an air seperator in the truck so when I change those filters I don't have the problems with air purges.

Was thinking about the adrenaline or one of those stock Stealths in teh 6-700dollar range as well as some new injectors? How big I don't know. I figured those two items and with a custom chip I would probably be just short of double in my HP TQ numbers. Am I going to far to soon? Would I be to that point where I'm missing something and there is no need for the other? I was slightly disappointed with my pulling power the last trip we had with a camper so I wouldn't mind a bit more power...just thinking EGT's might climb to high as I have no intercooler either and the turbo I'm sure would be the limiting piece at that point. I see a never ending circle of weak links.

Still worried that with my stock tranny it might be the next thing to go if I get to crazy.

Perusing the forums right now for answers....The only thing I know for sure is I need to sell a rig in order to keep this rig going. This is the longest I have ever owned a rig (6 years...which is damn good for me) and I plan to keep it that way. Just to reliable and useful a rig to ever get rid of. Even with the cars this big old pig is my every day driver.

Thanks guys. Would love the input.

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ifall youre draggin is a camper youd probably be happy with a set of stage 1 injectors,super duty 17 degree hpop,intercooler,and a nice wildman chip.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone making a reasonably priced kit for the intercooler tubes anymore? I'm sure I could pick up a used 6.0 IC and spyder for a reasonable price. It is the tubes that I would not be able to replicate in this place I'm stationed at now.

I'll have to do some research on the Superdut HPOP...I've never herd of that before. I take it that this is a simple swap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58