Help Needed Another I'm Smoking Thread

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the SD HPOP from a mid '00 and later if memory serves me right will flow just a bit more oil than the original OBS HPOP and for you it will be a bolt and go thing just a matter of changing the HPOP.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple vidoe's of the truck. Looks like I'll be sending mine off to be rebuilt by Rosewood Diesel when I get a chance to take them out this weekend. Hopefully he can get them done and back soon. Haven't decided yet but thinking some stage ones. Would love to go 2s but no real need the way I see it.

Also found 1/2" of sediment at the bottom of my fuel bowl and a rusted out wire of some sort..maybe water sensor or fuel bowl heater I'm not sure. None the less I will be pulling that out and cleaning it as well. I would like to do some e-fuel and a delete but just not in the cards right now.

YouTube - MVI 2234

YouTube - MVI 2233

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
damn.got a fuel knock as well.wouldnt drive it till the injectors get rebuilt.my first motor smoked like that when it had a cracked nozzle and fuel knock.ended up melting a piston cuz i kept driving it.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you could hear it. I drive it every day and I thought I heard it but wasn't sure if I was just telling myself I heard things becuase of the smoke. But I'm pretty sure you are right as I can hear it in one of the cylinders on the passenger side.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont suggest driving it till its fixed.this is what happened to mine

Yikes!!!. Yep it has been parked since 2 days after it started. Been carpooling and it is a pain but it makes sense in the end. Called around a lot and everyone is back ordered on parts or is backlogged on rebuilding them and can't get to them for awhile.

Going to go with GTS motorsports. Seems like a nice guy on the phone. I know he has been in and out of the industry it seems and some people didn't like his design on his parts but nobody that ever had one seemed to have an actual problem and loved them. That said I'll be shipping them off to him on Monday pending they are rebuildable.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did call Beans Diesel after Rosewood Diesel said he was back ordered on parts and couldn't get me into his rotation until Mid May. Beans said that they were confident that their back ordered parts would be comming in next week and that they would likely be able to catch up on back orders for rebuilds within the next couple of weeks. That sounds like a lot but they appear to be a big operation.

This GTS route appears to be the cheapest and most importantly quickest option I have right now...maybe about the same as Beans if they are correct in their back order assumptions. If GTS can't rebuild them though and new parts are going to be more than a REMAN set from Beans I will just have them shipped there instead. Geoff at GTS seems to have higher standards on rebuilds (as in he won't rebuild some that others will, not necessarily better in the end as standards are standards) and I've read the controversy on the thoughts of rebuilding poppet clearances and I'm not as concerned about that as he is.

I'm going to end up going with some stage ones so if in the future I feel the need I can throw a chip and some extra oil in there and get some extra ponies for towing. But for now I just want to get it back on the road as quick as possible minus paying a couple grand for a Brand new set.

spotlite08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I dont know

I am new here, so I am very low on the toempole.. but I did see on youtube, 2 different tools that change the f.i. cups without pulling the heads.. if you have a broken cup, this may serve you.. good luck.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my injectors back. Everyone in the country was back ordered on parts or time to rebuild them. Finally got ahold of Geoff from GTSmotorsport and pulled my injectors that weekend and sent them to him. He has a slight back order on parts as well but was able to get them back to me after a couple of weeks. I had one injector that needed a new plunger/barrell but otherwise they were all fine.

I cleaned out my fuel system (literally had 1/2" of sediment at the bottom) and put in a new fuel filter. Put in the new injectors and got it started up. I would say it took about 7 tries of cranking for 15-30 seconds. I would try then go on to buttoning up other portions of the engine to let the starter cool and my small 10 amp charger to get some more juice in the batteries. It finally cranked up and idled rough for a few seconds and then good to go. I'm still getting rough starts but am down to 5 second starts instead of 20 seconds. I have about 50 miles on it and am told it takes around 100 to get it all out.

I did step up to some stage I's. No chip yet as I want to build up my transmission before I do that. But it got rid of all my smoke and all is well.

I still have a rough idle though. Maybe air in the injetors but I think I have another problem as it has been doing this for 1K's of miles. Any idea's? IPR or ICP....I hear the ICP can be a pain to change and I'm not sure where the IPR actually is. I think it is on the front of the head on the drivers side but not sure if that is it or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58