Another self dimming mirror, broke.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Beware of the reflective window shades!

Just wanted to vent and see if anyone had a mirror for sale. Self dimming or not.

Cause of problem: I live in Texas and I use a window shade in the front window because of our 100+ degree days. Everything was great when they still made the cardboard window shades, now all I can find are these reflective window shades. Well what happened 2 times now is that the reflective window shade reflects the sun back onto the mirror, so now both sides are receiving intense sunlight. Then it gets so hot that the fluid in the mirror must expand and cause a leak. The fluid that makes the mirror self dim a black tar like substance. These mirrors cost over $100+ at the stealership or the non-dimming is around $40-$50. After the fluid leaks out, you can't even use the mirror it's reflection is so deformed. It is easy to replace just dang Xpensive.

Has anyone else had this happen. If not just use caution, I have broke 2 mirrors in 4 years.

There, now I feel better.:)

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I dont have one yet (I plan to upgrade mine) but will your shade not go between the windshield and the mirror? I have the 2 piece kind and keep it behind the mirror. Maybe you should switch to a 2 piece?

you are likely right as to the cause. My neighbor fixes windshield stars and whenever he has fixed mine he says not to use the shade that day because it overheats the crack.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
It has a notch cut on top so you can put it behind the mirror. But the notch actually allows the mirror to be in the direct sunlight all the time and with the notch being lower it actually reflects additional lights back up to the mirror from the bottom. Never had self-dimming mirrors before so I never had any problems before. They are really nice at night, but getting to be a little Xpensive. I like the idea of a 2 piece then you could put it behind the mirror and totally cover it. Wife is loving it, she told me to throw it away after I replaced the last one....score wifey 1. :p

I bought the last one on e-bay for $50-$60 dollars used, if you have the wiring harness in the headliner right above the mirror it is a snap.

Thanks!

Tx_Atty said:
I dont have one yet (I plan to upgrade mine) but will your shade not go between the windshield and the mirror? I have the 2 piece kind and keep it behind the mirror. Maybe you should switch to a 2 piece?

you are likely right as to the cause. My neighbor fixes windshield stars and whenever he has fixed mine he says not to use the shade that day because it overheats the crack.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My window shades dont allow any light thru.... Better get a set like i have...
they are EXACT fit 4pieces...2pieces for the front windscreen & 1 each
for the front doors...they include a storage bag and only cost 49 bucks...

My window shades <link>

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Those are great, where did you purchase yours at?

Thanks!

bushpilot said:
My window shades dont allow any light thru.... Better get a set like i have...
they are EXACT fit 4pieces...2pieces for the front windscreen & 1 each
for the front doors...they include a storage bag and only cost 49 bucks...

My window shades <link>

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt M said:
If bush pilot and I have the same ones, they were made by Cee Bailey. They make aircraft shades too. They fit great, are a snap to install.

Try this...
http://www.autosunshields.com/

those are the ones MATT !
Ive even made my own set for the rear glass & rear doors outta
double bubble reflective insulation.

MykolG

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I once put up one of those reflectors in my Oldsmobile Aurora and when I came out after work, I found the mirror had come unglued from the windshield. I had to get one of those kits and re-glued it back up. I don't use the reflector any more. I flip up the sunroof now.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Not to be a jack arse to you guys but real truckers dont use rear view mirrors they dont even have them in big rigs. Ever since I started driving I havent used a rear view, just got used to trucks that dont have them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58