anybody!! how to improve MPG on llifted truck

thamexecutioner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my truck used to get 14- 15 mpg on 38's i got 40's now and it gets 9.1 mpg does anybody know any mods or tips or anything to help me get more outta this truck

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Takes extra power to turn big rubber and it takes extra fuel to produce extra power. You might get a little back(very little)by changing out the gears but reducing tire size is the only thing that will get all of it back. 14 mpg on 38" rubber is very good and I would say 9.1 is normal for 40".

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
crumm said it....changing the gears will get you something back, but at the end of the day you are still squishing around more rubber!

one thing to consider, is tread design. basically if the tire is noisey, you are wasting energy. those big bogger treads look badass and ar unmatched in the mud, but it takes an extra drop of fuel every time one of those lugs slaps the pavement. also a wider tire will suck more juice as well.

what are you running for gears? with 40" tires i would think that a 5.13 gear ratio wouldnt be out of the question to get some power back, as well as mileage.

thamexecutioner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yea ive heard about gears make abig difference but wut about any upgrades or add-ons to increase power and mileage

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its always a never ending chase once you start lifting. my 2000 SD (gasser) had a 4" lift with 35's and the mileage went to the crapper, not that it was very good anyway. I got tired of a bad ride, poor mileage, tires wearing out fast and brakes wearing out faster than usual. So when i bought my current truck I just left it alone. I still love the look of a nice lifted truck, just don't like the extra expense. I know this doesn't help your situation, just my two cents FWIW.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
my truck used to get 14- 15 mpg on 38's i got 40's now and it gets 9.1 mpg does anybody know any mods or tips or anything to help me get more outta this truck

What model year are we talking about here? F-250? F-350? CC? Auto? Manual? Help us help you. ;)

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
basically the same stuff that helps a vehicle with stock sized tires, will help a 40" bogger'd truck. the only thing that makes your truck different than the others is the gearing has been thrown off by the taller tires. changing gears in the axles is the only way to put it back.

other things that help all vehicles with mileage would be:
-free flowing exhaust and intake
-chip or tuner with a mild power/economy tune
-turbo upgrades
-low stall torque converter (i picked up 2mpg city when i installed mine)
-reduce running weight
-reduce rotating mass (keep the hubs unlocked)
-tonneu cover to make the truck more aerodynamic
-proper alignment
-proper tire pressure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14