anybody!! how to improve MPG on llifted truck

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I do a lot of hauling with my truck. I found that this engiine has to rev in the 1700 to 2000 RPM area. With my programer I found that the best MPG help is over the 2000 RPM area. So I never bother to shift in overdrive till I hit over 2000 RPM in Drive. My Scan Gauge indicates good millage till then so I listen to it. You Might need to get a Scan Gauge that will indicate were your best performance is at. I once did a delivery with a load above the cab it was 11ft High. Well I felt it was hauling much harder than with my RV in tow. So it don't take much to get away from the standard Fuel Millage. I build a trailer to keep my loads lower.

LowSpoolHighFuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have lock in hubs? If not I would look into purchasing lock in hubs because even when the truck is in 2 wheel drive all of the 4 wheel components are spinning so lock in hubs will save you some.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Watch out with CNG or Propane and mileage. While you might SEEM to get better mileage, you are adding another fuel that takes some of the load off of the diesel. You are not getting between 5 and 10 mpg increase in mileage. Maybe 5 mpg on the diesel portion, but no gain in total.

Dave

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
we sold a bunch of CNG trucks to a utility company.......they were decommissioned before the first year. CNG has HORRIBLE mileage. they were always running out of fuel out on the road, and needing to get towed.

propane, i think is better but im still not sold on it. the way i see it, if propane actually was more cost effective, i would see some trucks running it. in the past 7 years at my current workplace i have not seen one truck with propane.

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about CNG or propane injection not as a primary fuel. If regulated properly, each can extend the mileage out of each tank of fuel. It's costly to begin but once you dial it in and learn to drive easier, it sure does payoff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14