Anybody know anything about Skunks?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Long story short: Wife and daughter are animal lovers to a fault. They put cheap catfood out for strays, etc. at edge's of property. Last 3-4 weeks we've had a skunk hanging around but never a skunk odor. Even our dopey cats have befriended the thing. It will get within 10-15 feet of people and half the time you don't know its there because again it never smells. Last nite, we had some company and here comes the skunk, which has become something of a novelty, out from under an old shed where it apparently stays during the day. And this time it has 7 baby skunks with it. I've never seen a baby skunk, and she paraded them right past us. First time I saw this skunk I was going to get rid of it and the wife and daughter begged me not to. Now, it looks like I have 8 skunks within 200 feet of the house. The babies are as small as young kittens and are funny to watch but won't stay little long. Any of you guys ever have a situation like this? I don't have the heart to kill the little buggers but can't figure out how to trap and relocate them w/out getting sprayed. :dunno

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I live in the sticks too. My first thought was the .410. I killed one a few years back that was out during the day and appeared rabid. A 12 gauge will blow it to pieces and also skunk your property for 2-3 days. Been there, done that. I have no idea how these things behave and whether the babies will leave right away or stay around. Right now its not a big deal but when they get big I can't have all these skunks running around. Going to be an interesting summer.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Find a black cat, paint a white strip down its back and then maybe the female skunk will find it attractive and chase off after it.

What??? it always worked in the cartoons. :D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You need to get rid of it (them) before you begin having disease problems in your cats. Its only a matter of time before one of the skunks lets loose with the stink bomb at you or a pet as well.

If you arent of the mind to shoot it, call the game and fish or animal control officer.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Thats a good idea. I'm not sure we have one, but I'll check.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
trap it and put about 50' of rope tied to the cage and other end to a tree. walk up with a moving blanket or something heavy like that, cover the cage, and move the animal far away. i have done it several times smell free so far. the rope is for moving the cage without getting close, should you feel the need.

atk

Reaction score
trap it and put about 50' of rope tied to the cage and other end to a tree. walk up with a moving blanket or something heavy like that, cover the cage, and move the animal far away. i have done it several times smell free so far. the rope is for moving the cage without getting close, should you feel the need.

X2...i am pretty sure this how buddy of mine does it....he does trapping of animals for a side business...

the only other thing i can think of, is, somehow getting them have a long nap(spiking there food) and relocating them....:dunno

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
We have a trap for em too, once they are in (the bigger ones anyways) they can't get their tail up to spray. You can either shoot em then or drag em with a rope to the nearest body of water and drown 'em.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58