Anybody know anything about Skunks?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
We have a trap for em too, once they are in (the bigger ones anyways) they can't get their tail up to spray. You can either shoot em then or drag em with a rope to the nearest body of water and drown 'em.

Sounds like a plan, royboy. I'll practice up on my goose-step, throw on my jack boots and just shoot them with my trusty Luger.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
drowning is cruel I.M.O. but a popular method of killing them. i say bring them to a remote rural area and let them go, they are really nice animals (if you can get past the smell :D)

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to try the hav-a-hart traps and see if I can't relocate them a few at a time. I've had to do it with raccoons and few woodchucks. Still amazed nothing or no one has been sprayed.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being raised in the Oregon woods, and having a Mom & Sister that were Skunk (and any other Critter) Huggers.. My Dad, Bro's and I had to do Population Control (.410) and Urban Renewal (1/4 stick'o Dynamite) .. on a continuing basis... when Mom & Sis were away.

Bottom Line ? One pair of Skunks can, and will, create herds of Skinks (we called'm).. in a Big Hurry. They're social critters but in big numbers ?.. Up Wind ? (it always seemed they were up wind) They can Ruin the Ambiance of a Summers Eve.

OBTW ? Tomato juice will neutralize the Stink. (we went thru A lot of Tomato Juice)

We usta relocate the "Skinks" down river, so the Urbanites could enjoy the Reality of their suburban encroachment. :sly:D

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I'll tell ya, big Joe, an occasional skunk running around doesn't bother me. But now that I know their living under an old chicken coop on my property, its too much. Seeing the thing with the 7 off-spring was like having a UFO land in your lap. Your just not expecting it. I'll get rid of them as humanly as possible. They seperate at nite so I think I can get a few at a time and just run them out a mile or so into the woods and be done with it. A few years ago I had more raccoons than I knew what to do with, last year I had 2 hornet nests in my yard, and now these things. We always have black bears. Thats another issue in itself.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Our initial problem was, we let their numbers get to big. We had to reduce that. We ALLWAYS and ONLY took Kill shots on any critters. We, after all, built our house on their turf.

It's when we be-friend them, to the point where they become Wild "Pets".. .

It's a Fine Line between "Them" & "Us". We create our own problems when we cross that line.

Ma & Sis crossed that line, on a continuing basis.

For awhile there.. we had Skunks, Jack Rabbits, Raccoons, Beavers, Squirrels, Chipmunks and other critters.. to the point.. we couldn't come down the 1/2 mile drive way without running over something.

Then, a couple Fox's moved in and helped thin things out some..... Nature has a way.

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Its an on-going battle about befriending these critters. I can't say alot, I like feeding the birds in the winter and I have taken care of a few baby raccoons, etc over the years. I'm the guy who will stop, throw on a heavy glove, and grab a turtle by the tail and make sure it gets across the road. Thats just my nature. That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with a fox setting up light housekeeping around here any "thinning the herd".

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mom "befriended" some flying squirrels in an outdoor shed a few years back. Eventually there were plenty of them, and they destroyed some of the items in the shed. Finally she placed lots of moth balls around the areas where they stayed, and they left. Later there was a raccoon close by that she started to feed, and I told her to stop that immediately and to remember her situation with the flying squirrels. She lives alone in the woods "literally" and thought they were cute. You might try putting out some moth balls around their area to see what happens. If it works, it will be painless for everyone and cheap.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skunk "Joke"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist this one:

There once was a man from the city
Who saw a black and white striped kitty
Saying "nice little cat" he gave it a pat
They buried his clothes out of pity.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Its alright. I've heard every skunk joke in the book at this point. I finally got around to doing a search on the things and mothballs were mentioned. I'll give it a try. I really don't want to hurt the things, I just want them to move. This isn't as bad as the squirrel's I had in the attic a few years ago. I've never seen a flying squirrel, that sounds like a PITA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14