Anyone rebuilt a 6.0 yet??

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I'm not looking to do it yet. I only have 105k on this one and am hoping for at least another 100k, but I was sitting here thinking about it I know there are a lot of improvements you could do while rebuilding a 6.0. Just curiousity more than anything else....... :)

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 125,000 on mine and I hope I've got another 100,000 on mine to but I daydream and do a little researching. You can bore it Bigger and lightwieght rods and pistons, intake modifications (porting and polishing), deeper oil pan and don't get me started on the tranny. Needless to say you would not have any problem dropping thousands of dollars on improving Fords engineering and adding torque and ponys.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
We'll......I am assuming that since no one is reponding, no one has? And that is good!!! :sweet

I want this motor to run a LONG TIME before a rebuild is needed!!!!!

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If and when that time comes, I am probably going to do a cost analysis, and see what the difference in cost is between it an doing a Cummins swap. I am at 107,000 miles without a problem, right now, so that seems like it might be a ways away.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Ya know.....I may be opening a can of worms here....

I realize that a lot of people like the idea of a Cummins Swap, but isn't that just going to open a can of worms? What I mean is, its not like you are swaping a 351 out for a 460. You are awapping a 6.0 International motor out for a 5.9 Cummins.

I am assuming most people who do this aren't doing it themselves and are not master deisel mechanics. Who is going to work on that thing after you do the swap? I would assume that if work did need to be done, you would have to take it to a Dodge dealer? Or maybe just a "non dealer affiliated" deisel shop?

I don't know....it just raises a few questions for me........

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There are many independent mechanics that will work on it. Why the Dealer if there is no warranty?

Dave

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
My 6.0 is not "built", but it has been out for head gasket work.
I had head studs re-installed and a regulated fuel return system installed while
it was out.

There are some guys out there that are starting to really get into the 6.0's and make them scream with some high horse power numbers.

Twin turbo set-ups are starting to show up on 6.0's. I even know a guy who just had a supercharger installed on a 6.0.

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, a cummins swap just shows lack of commitment and talent. Anyone can buy a 800hp engine and dump it in a mustang, its the guy that sticks with his truck and it's engine, that busts his knuckles to make that truck run. We just have to know or limitations with work that we can and work to be done by a professional.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I'm not saying you have to take it to the dealer, I am just asking who would work on it?

Everyone has there own opinions, and I am definitley not always right, I am just saying it seems to me that if/when the time comes, I would think that pulling out the 6.0, building and beefing it up, and slapping it back in would be much cheaper/easier and with much less modifications to the truck itself. I do realize that the 6.0 engine does need some mods to make it better, but mods to the engine seem better to me that cutting/chopping the truck to make a Cummins fit.

I am a little biased however......I love my 6.0.... :sly

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama

How do you like the regulated fuel return? Who made yours? What differences (good and bad) do you notice?

I think it makes a lot of sense, especially with injector life, but I would like to hear from some real world experience on this one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58