Question Anyone ride Mountain Bikes?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I went out shopping for a new bicycle today for leisure trail riding and was looking to see if anyone in the community rides mountain bikes?

I can't believe the choices for bike models today:eek:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
At first all I was looking at was the full suspension models then I started looking at the hardtails with adjustable front suspension.

The full suspensions weigh much more than the hardtails and I want a light bike but has to be durable as well,there not going to be a rock hopping so the choice is pretty easy.;)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno We recently bought 2 full suspension bikes for leisure riding on improved trails CHP. Got'm at Wally World, 150 bucks a piece. SURE DO like the front & rear suspension. All Aluminum, lite'n easy to load on the bike rack.

They're Mountain bikes with all the Rock Hop'n fluff, but we were looking for the softer "Ride" than the Hard Tails. Upgraded the seats from the "Melvin Makers".. put a Basket on front of the wife's.. for Becky the dog and rear Rack thingys on both. (for haul'n Beer'n Stuff)

We've ridden them a lot, so far, on our road trip.. We're real happy with'm. :dunno

Joe

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I have the distinction and privilege to be one of the first hundred or so to ever ride a mountain bike. ;tu Flash back to 1975 when I'm living in Marin County. At that time there was no such a thing as a mountain bike. We scoured the junk yards for the early 50's Schwinn steel framed one speeds with the kick back brake. We disassembled them and upgraded to drum brakes front and rear and installed 10 speeds (2 chain rings and derailleur). Mine weighed 56 lbs. We rode on the fire roads of Mt. Tamalpais and at that time the fire roads were all ours.

I still have my 1953 Schwinn but it is dusty and in need of a major overhaul. I'll post a photo of it tomorrow once the sun comes up.

The latest technology, the shock dampening systems and the ultra light bikes are a far cry to what my mountain biking experience was. But damn I was in great shape. :hail

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the distinction and privilege to be one of the first hundred or so to ever ride a mountain bike. ;tu Flash back to 1975 when I'm living in Marin County.

Wow. Respect!

I was a real mountain bike geek in the early 90s, before i got my drivers license, and my first diesel 4x4! I still enjoy riding, though not as much as I would like to (and ought to :innocent). In fact, I still have two bikes of the make "Marin". One of them was a top-of-the-line 2k$ aluminium model. When I look at todays bikes with disc brakes and all, mine looks like a relic!:rant

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I've got a Cannondale F6 that I've beat to death for last 10 years and its still a decent ride. Hardtails with decent front suspension is the way to go. You get what you pay for. :innocent

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I really like the Diamondback Sorrento model mostly for the Shimano EF-50 EZ-Fire Shifters,User adjustable Spinner Grind-1 70mm Suspension Fork & Weinmann XTB-26 Double Wall Rims.

I'm familiar with the Diamondback name and quality for that's what I mostly rode when I was in grade school,but the mountain bike venture is all new but something I want.

Don't need to spend a zillion dollars to ride easy trails but then again I don't want a bike that'll last a year.

I'd like to add a rear rack to put a couple saddle style bags on the bike.

08_db-adult_575x345_sorrento-m-red.jpg

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an old Giant Iguana that I got 15 or so years ago and it's finally seeing the end of it's reasonable life span. With well over 15k miles on the bike, and my college hobby was riding the 7 mile "forest service road" (more like a wide 4 wheeler trail with 4' deep water channels) that went to the top of the mountain. 7 miles up hill then a 7 mile kamikaze ride back down. I don't have any suspension on mine.

Given that riding in the sand is horrid I've gone to more road biking since moving to FL.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Wow. Respect!

I was a real mountain bike geek in the early 90s, before i got my drivers license, and my first diesel 4x4! I still enjoy riding, though not as much as I would like to (and ought to :innocent). In fact, I still have two bikes of the make "Marin". One of them was a top-of-the-line 2k$ aluminium model. When I look at todays bikes with disc brakes and all, mine looks like a relic!:rant

Marin was a great bike. Throw in Klein, Santa-cruz, Gary Fisher and Voo-doo. Not sure who's left in the arena at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58