Anyone using the 7.3 coolant filter kit from Bob Riley...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...since I've got one sitting in my garage now and will be installing it on Thursday. I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know/tools to buy before installing the filter. It seems like it should be a fairly quick job, but those are the ones that have a habit of biting me in the arse.

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a guy on TDS that I know has it installed (Dale aka Shamuex2000). Don't know if that helps or not.

Have a good one,
Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed mine it was a purdy strait forward deal. I eyeballed the location, pre-measured and cut all the hoses + 2-3 inches, assembled all the fittings, pointed in the right direction. Installed the filter mount (with the filter on it). Clamped the hose onto the fitting that goes into the Thermo houseing, kept the other end higher than the radiator level, removed the OEM plug, (quikley) installed the hose. hooked up the rest of it... done deal.

As you prolly know, the first on will plug up Real Quik, the second not as quik, but soon. The third will last quite awhile.... I just replaced my third one this last weekend...cut it open, STILL had Crapola in it but was'nt Plugged, so to speak.

No wonder we read about so many Water Pumps !!! I'd say; out of the 3 filters I'v gone thru, I'v filtered out AT LEAST a full Cup of sediment/casting sand, if not, more..... The Coolant filter is a REAL GOOD Mod to do Guyz'n Galz.

JOE

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
When I installed mine it was a purdy strait forward deal. I eyeballed the location, pre-measured and cut all the hoses + 2-3 inches, assembled all the fittings, pointed in the right direction. Installed the filter mount (with the filter on it). Clamped the hose onto the fitting that goes into the Thermo houseing, kept the other end higher than the radiator level, removed the OEM plug, (quikley) installed the hose. hooked up the rest of it... done deal.

Do you have any pictures of your installation? I haven't had time to really lay out the parts and visualize how the install will go yet, but pictures always help.

BIG JOE said:
As you prolly know, the first on will plug up Real Quik, the second not as quik, but soon. The third will last quite awhile.... I just replaced my third one this last weekend...cut it open, STILL had Crapola in it but was'nt Plugged, so to speak.

How many miles did you go before the first filter change and how many did you go until the second, third, etc... changes? :thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did'nt wana put a "miles" to it cuz they can vary. What you need to watch for is, FLOW OF COOLANT.... back into the recovery tank, from the filter. When it slows way down or stops, yer plugged. My first one plugged in about 5-600 miles.

Sorry, I don't have Pics... Aint that PC smart yit. :D

Last edited:

DezlWezl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I put mine on in February, just before the water pump went out--too little, too late. Easy install except that I had to have custom bracket made by a buddy cuz I don't have the stock airbox/battery box. Mine is clamped to my Tymar intake. Due for first filter change next month. I'll be interested in what comes out of the filter. Make sure you already have some hose attached to the fitting that goes into the water pump unless you're doing a flush at the same time. If you aren't quick getting the fitting in there after removing the plug, it'll pour quite a bit out. Otherwise, it's a very easy install. Highly recommended-especially after losing a pump.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
I did'nt wana put a "miles" to it cuz they can vary. What you need to watch for is, FLOW OF COOLANT.... back into the recovery tank, from the filter. When it slows way down or stops, yer plugged.

OK--I know this is a dumb question, but that's something I'd have to look for when the engine is running, correct? :oops:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, with engine running. One other, Oh by the way..... I went with the shut off valves for the inlet & outlet to the filter.... sure makes changeing the filter alot less mess.

DezelWezl mentioned the spillage ? If you hold the hose from the Thermo houseing... >higher< than the radiater... and be quik about threading it into the houseing, you wont loose much coolant.... I only lost about an ounce or two.

:dunno

JOE

FWIW ..... For Me ? there aint no Dumb questions. Thats how we learn.

Last edited:

IBSTROKIN

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep!

Put one on my 01 about a year ago,first filter plugged up at about 1000 miles,second about 1900,third about 3200,interval incresaed the more I used it.I am now changing it when I change my oil.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IBSTROKIN said:
Put one on my 01 about a year ago,first filter plugged up at about 1000 miles,second about 1900,third about 3200,interval incresaed the more I used it.I am now changing it when I change my oil.

Do you buy your filters from Bob or a local Baldwin dealer? I've got three (1 + 2 spares) but I'll need more soon enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58