Question Are there any firefighters on here?

Reaction score
I am looking for information on becoming a firefighter. Being since I no longer have a future in law enforcement (long story) I am thinking about chasing my boyhood dream of fighting fires. In all honesty what are my chances at 31 years old? What are today’s standards of education and physical fitness. What type of process am I looking at? I have a college education and I am not lazy. So fire away and tell me straight.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Move to California... We have many fires every summer and the need of good fire fighters. Winters are mild, so we have fires then also.

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chances are still very good as far as physical goes i think it varies from town to town . education , around here some places take ff2 & emt as min. others are looking for degree in fire related sub. paramedic, and about 10 other things. go for it you got nothin to lose

Reaction score
Cali is a bit to costly to live in.

The education is what worries me. I have an AA and a BS in the criminal field. I really do not want to go back to school over a maybe. By the time I get home then complete another degree I will be 36ish.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
isn't an Fire Science an Associates (2yr) Degree?
heck, our Community College used to offer it..

Reaction score
That is the thing that does not reall apeal to me. Another degree in a seperate field means going back to school. Ugh. I wonder if I will have to do the full two years. How does that work?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
That is the thing that does not reall apeal to me. Another degree in a seperate field means going back to school. Ugh. I wonder if I will have to do the full two years. How does that work?

It depends on how hard it is to get on at your FD, if they will hire you on the premise that you go back to school and get your fire science degree within "X" amount of time then its not a big deal. If its hard to get employed with the FD and you need the Fire Science degree in advance then you are in a pickle.

Reaction score
Well being since I already have an AA, would I still have to take all the basics again? Or, would I have to take a masters level course of study because I already have a BS?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
That depends upon your credits being transferable from one institution to another. Also, I know some of the JC's offer a certificate only program in Fire Science and since you do have all your basics out of the way I would seriously look into that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14