Question Are there any firefighters on here?

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, have you checked with a FD in your area that you might want to go to work for? They will have all the answers you need regarding what they require for education.

At a minimum, you will probably have to get your Firefighter 1 certificate and your EMT-basic certificate. Both of these are two or three nights a week and are about 6 months long.

At 31, time is running out quickly. Most departments have 35 as the age cut-off unless you were in the military or are transferring from another department. Some smaller FD's dont have the age cut-off, just something to check into. The good news is that your current degrees are a major turn on for some FD's.

Another option is getting on as a volunteer. They will give you some formal and informal training and possibly even pay for classes. Anything helps while trying to get your foot in the door.

BTW, fire departments are extremely political. The first few times I tried out for jobs, I watched as those less qualified were hired because they were needed for the FD to qualify for government grants.

Just remember, when you start applying for a job, there will be hundreds of other guys fighting for that position. Here in Colorado Springs, we had over 4,000 applicants for 9 jobs.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lonesome,

Are you currently working some other occupation? If so, the "volunteer" route is a great way to get your foot in the door as said before. Check in your area to see what type of departments there are. Here, we have 2 different departments, one for the City and one for the Rural, which I am a member of. Once on, you have to attend Fire School within a year. All other training is handled through the department. There are also several on-line courses for FF1 and FF2 that you could take.

First step is to check with the local departments. I'll try to remember to check my Firehouse Magazine and get the website for the online courses for you to look at.

Barrett

Reaction score
The online courses would be a huge help right now thanks.

Right now I am in Iraq, and by the time I come home I will be 33 or 34. (forgot to mention that in my first post) I was planning on putting myself through the academy so I can go the “free agent” route. I do not really want to work for a big agency. We plan to move when I return home, and do not know where just yet. We would like to settle down in a small town with small government agencies.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I share the knowledge that I have. First, if you can get on with a good Dept that will allow you a good future with promotions you will be very happy. This is an excellent career and has served me well for 11 years.

Now as far as qualifications.

That is going to vary widely by area and by individual dept. I have no knowledge of your area, so I can only speak for the Dallas area. Even around here the requirements vary by Dept and Dept size.

A degree is great. Most Depts around here require some (45-60hrs) college. I know of none off the top of my head that actually require a degree. Those that require college don't require it to be fire service related. Though that will obliviously be a a heads up down the road.

Some depts will require you to be a state certified FireFighter and EMT prior to hire and some will train you. HINT, look for the ones that will train you first. That will save you time and money.

Physical requirements will vary also. Each city will have a physical test as part of the testing process. Find out as much about it as you can. If there appears to be special skills, practice them.

There is usually a written test that is the first step in the process. These vary widely also. Talk to the Depts you are interested in to get as much info as possible. There are books that MAY help you prepare for civil service test. They can be found at book stores and even a local libraries. Most test have reading comprehension, math and mechanical components. Scoring HIGH is essential around my area. It is VERY competitive. We have 700 people show up to test for 5-20 spots each year!

I could go on, but this will get you started. First decide what depts you are interested in and talk to them. Some will even have a "recruiter". They can point you in the right direction.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Kevin

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, there is some good information in your post. Once my wife gets home she will be my agent. I have a list of possible cities for her to call. It is the out of state possibilities that has me stumped though.

Reaction score
Thanks. Those links will be a big help.

Do you have any ideas as to how I should select and agency out of state. We may leave GA all together when I get home. We just do not know where we will end up.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion, obviously, just pick areas you want to live in. Then you can check out the departments, don't pick an area just for the department. Sounds like your looking for a small cummunity like mine. More than likely, the departments will be "home town" types, and maybe will not have all the politics. Just make sure you are going where you both want to go, and the rest will fall into place. It usually does.

Barrett

Reaction score
We plan to make a cross country road trip when I return home. I am hoping to have a better idea from that as to where we want to live. If the certification proccess the same in every state? If I earn one in GA, will it be accepted in other states?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14