attention veterans

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
Lax security is always unacceptable. This guy should not have had the information at home - and should lose his job for it.

In addition to the unauthorized removal of property, he places hundreds of thousands of vets at financial risk.

During my service career (I retired from the Coast Guard in the mid 90's), our SSN was also and technically still is our service number. For most of my career my SSN was printed on everything. No one thought of this as a problem then. This at least has changed.

Recently to major banking firms have done the same thing. Wells Fargo Bank has now exposed many thousands of home owners by allowing a computer to be stolen with mortgage information. Bank of America did the same with pin numbers and debit cards.

As a Police Officer, I know just how cunning and resourcefully identity thieves are and know personally, just how expensive and inconvenient it is to have your identity stolen. It takes years and countless hours of work by the person who's identity has been stolen to put things right. When confronting the Credit Reporting Bureaus - their attitude is that it's your fault.

This failure to keep personal information out of the hands of thieves a growing problem.

Shame on the VA security managers for allowing this to happen.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
to add insult to injury, they announced today that the theft was not even reported for a WEEK after it occurred.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you have to ask, what was one guy doing with all that information? it had to be a very large file, 25 million folks takes up a bit of space.:D

we do know he is in MD. :D

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
So I just got this nice little letter from the VA yesterday letting me know that data was compromised, and to keep a watchful eye out on my credit and personal info, giving addresses to the various credit agencies.
Nothing like being timely....

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
acjjkamp said:
So I just got this nice little letter from the VA yesterday letting me know that data was compromised, and to keep a watchful eye out on my credit and personal info, giving addresses to the various credit agencies.
Nothing like being timely....

yep got mine last week,
you can bet every other month i am doing a credit check with all three and the VA is going to foot the bill,
plus we added a few ##### at the bank so hopefully we can catch anything real fast

i am a member of probably one of the best crdit unions in the US.
there fraud deprtment is awesome, a burp on the screen and they get acting, sometimes to quick, but i aint complaining:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58