attention veterans

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Well I'm also payed illegally, too many days between checks, 3-6 times a year and when I confront them with that I'm told to find another job. The same thing we're being told about the SS #'s. I cannot report it to the state because I work for the state.-mad
to many days between checks? please explain,
is it like the pay cycle closes on the 15th but you dont get paid for it till the 25th?? something like that????

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
No it like this:

All other employee's besides hourly get payed on the last Friday of the month.

The rest of us get 24 paychecks, bi monthly, one on the last Friday of the month with the other employees. The other check per month is the problem. It's fine until there are five Fridays in a month, then we have to wait three weeks for the same size paycheck because they only want to cut checks on Friday, and the Friday they choose it whats conveinent for they're schedule. The law clearly states that the days between pay periods must be as equal to as possible an equal amount of days. It's kinda of hard to keep track of bills this way

When I chowed by boss and boss's bosss the law with a highlighted infraction of the law, they said its been this way forever, we wont change find another job if you dont like it.

And now the SS # problem.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
No it like this:

All other employee's besides hourly get payed on the last Friday of the month.

The rest of us get 24 paychecks, bi monthly, one on the last Friday of the month with the other employees. The other check per month is the problem. It's fine until there are five Fridays in a month, then we have to wait three weeks for the same size paycheck because they only want to cut checks on Friday, and the Friday they choose it whats conveinent for they're schedule. The law clearly states that the days between pay periods must be as equal to as possible an equal amount of days. It's kinda of hard to keep track of bills this way

When I chowed by boss and boss's bosss the law with a highlighted infraction of the law, they said its been this way forever, we wont change find another job if you dont like it.

And now the SS # problem.

bryan if i understand you correctly
your not an hourly employee, your an exempt employee, meaning no matter how many days or hours you work, you get eh same dollar amount in your paycheck, simply ... they take your annual salary and divide it by 24,
thats what we have as well, and yes sometimes it feels odd going three weeks bewteen paydays,
we get paid the 15th and 25th but apy weeks end the 10th a 25th on some months .

but if your an hourly employee then you get paid by exactly the number of hours your log as WORK

an odd thing for us, is we bill the gov for hours worked on a particular charge line on a project, we may work 55 hours one week and 40 the next but we still ge teh same checks, SOOOOO we can work ahead 4 10's etc to get a day off and not take leave, comp time, which is illegal so its called an alternate works schedule, which is legal
and one big plus is if we have a 6 day work week we still paid the same amount as a normal week,
did that help or make it worse?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Nope I'm hourly with overtime. They base my pay at 40 hours a week for the year then divide by 24. See the problem now?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Nope I'm hourly with overtime. They base my pay at 40 hours a week for the year then divide by 24. See the problem now?

yep you getting the short end of a complicated situation
you are not supposed to combine hourly and salaried .

my previous employer paid us salary and if we logged over 40 we got X amount of hours extra pay at the end of the pay period, no OT, we worked lots of weekends and lots of time trapped in hot atlantas airport eating time :D

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
you are not supposed to combine hourly and salaried .
I used to work for a major oil company 20+ years ago and had a position that was considered salary subject to overtime. I was working with a geophysical crew and we worked 15 days on, 13 days off. I was paid for 12 hours a day for the 15 days plus extra time on the first and 15th day due to travel. After 40 hrs, the pay went to time and a half. Those fifteen days were in two pay periods (8 days on one, 7 on the other). Needless to say, I made a sh*tload of money during that time period (even had one check at the end of the year without any SS deductions because I went past the maximum salary). Being away from home was really tough, but the wife didn't have to work then. I got laid off about a year later (when oil prices went from $30 to $12 a barrel and the exploration budget got cut 80%), but I wouldn't want to go back to that lifestyle again.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Hey I don't get OT until after 53 hours per week, so:nutkick: .

Bryan, I would seriously push the SS# deal. I found out that ours was available to anyone on our personal info in the computer and pointed it out to Admin. It was IMMEDIATELY changed. I've had some fraund stuff in my name before, I will not willingly allow my info put out like that.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
Hey I don't get OT until after 53 hours per week, so:nutkick: .
That sucks, big time!!!! Isn't it a federal law that anything over 40 hours is overtime? If they can get by with 53 hours/week, there must be a loophole somewhere.:confused:

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Well Fire Protection Personell fall under different rules than the rest of the world.

Here is the long version. http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs8.htm

But it boils down to overtime past 53 hours and my schedule averages 56 hours per week. But I just mentioned it in jest. The job rocks and everything else is GREAT. I am taken care of pretty well for a government employee.:D

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Hey, I don't get paid any overtime and I've been working 80-100 hrs a week!:eek:
I just got done working on the company truck:D for the night, (notice the time)
I'm self-employed:roflmao
With all that money Bryan's making on that shirt, I think he's doin' fine:D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58