Automatic A/C woes...

JRJ04

Reaction score
When I first got the truck approx 2 years ago, one of the things i was the most impressed with was how well it cooled. I used to be against setting a temp and letting it do its thing, but i've really grown to like it.

This summer (and its been hot here in Houston) I feel like things arent working as well. Last summer(s) i used to be able to set it on 75 -76 and it would keep it very comfortable with the fan set pretty low. Now, to achieve the same feelnig it needs to be on 71 - 73 and even then the fan really doesnt kick up. 71 - 73 would FREEZE me out of there before.

What could be going here? all I know is something has changed with mine. The dealer did a full check on the system and everything checked out fine it was blowing around 43 degrees. Today, I was driving and had to keep it set on 68 for the fan speed to run high enough to keep it cool in the cab. It's just weird...I was in my parents 2012 f150 and we had to keep it on 75...any lower than that and you'll freeze out of there.

it's as if the computer thinks the desired temp has been reached but it really hasn't. It just kicks down the fan speed too low and then I have to keep turning the temp lower to get it back up.

Thoughts?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you installed a Dash Mat ? If so, there can be temp/light sensors on and around the Dash area that need to be completely exposed to make the Heat & A/C stuff work properly.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep mine on 60 and it blows out 38 air. On a trip of over a hour I turn it up to 65, but around town it stays on 60.
I like it cool when it's 95 to 100 outside.
Doug

JRJ04

Reaction score
kinda what im wondering...but Ford scanned it for codes. wouldnt it have thrown a code if its malfunctioning? I'm kinda hesitant to start throwing parts at it...I hate doing that but might be what im faced with if i want to get it fixed...just dont want this to get expensive

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I hear you about throwing parts at your truck, but with no codes you have to do something. Maybe take it to an A/C repair/recharging shop and ask them...

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
I hear you about throwing parts at your truck, but with no codes you have to do something. Maybe take it to an A/C repair/recharging shop and ask them...

Dave

yea...almost would rather throw parts at it...at least i can return them if it doesnt work...if i take it to another shop, i wont be able to get an labor costs back. the problem lies in that when its set to MAX A/C...its blowing cold air out at around 42* so its within spec as for a ford/a shop is concerned. its just when you turn the temp up (becuase you're comfortable) it doesnt ever kick the fan speed back up.

I wonder if there could be a duct that is slightly leaking air and blowing on the sensor...thus fooling the Auto A/C into thinking it is cooler than it actually is?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The orifice tube could be getting clogged up, but should not on that new of a truck, unless the compressor starting to go out. The only thing other then that would be the Ambient air temp sensor is messed up or something may have gotten on it and throwing the reading off. I would check it first and clean it see if it changes things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58