Aux Input Wiring

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Trying to keep it simple-07 SD, factory AM/FM/single CD-want to hook up a "line-in" to the aux input. Before tearing apart the dash (they don't tend to like to go back together in my experience) I thought I'd see what it takes to accomplish this. I'm surprised there's not a thread already (that I can find...). I just want to be able to plug in an MP3 player (cell phone or IPod) or the laptop (DVD player). I'm assuming there's a wire coming out of the back of the stereo for this? Is it just a blank wire or does it require an adapter?

Thanks in advance!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you know what your doin'...pulling the radio out and putting
it back in is EASY....many of us have pulled the radio for one
reason or another.

ive never had an issue w/ things not fitting well when ive
had the radio out.

there were a couple of different factory radios...some allowed
aux inputs...youll likely need to tell us more, pull the radio and/or
show us photos of your radio so we can help determine if what
youre trying to do is possible w/ your radio/model

also review -->
PIE Audio Integration - Make/Model & Year

or Crutchfield: Car Audio for aux input integration devices

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into the same thing, IMO crutchfield is the way to go. they have a cable that will hook to the back of the stereo, you run it to the glove box and you can control your IPOD through the stereos controls. It is IPOD specific though. I considered this option for awhile but the technology was still new most of the reviews I read said that it was a little difficult to navigate and slow. I was doing my truck and my wifes at the same time (2001 durango) the cable with adapter is pricey, about $100 if I remember right. I just bought two Pioneer DEH-P 3900MP, a basic stereo CD player with an Aux. jack in the front. Problem solved and It was the same stereo from one vehicle to another, nothing new to learn. I didnt even need the CD Player since there are two IPOD's floating around here. Crutchfield even throws in a free mounting kit for your specific vehicle.
I think thought the stock ford radios got better in '05 and the cable in the back may work better. For what its worth, I would rather have kept my stock radio and ran my Ipod and satellite radio through it if I could have.
BTW pulling the radio is very easy, DIN tools are under $5.00 or two 6 inch coat hangers bent with the ends filed a little flat work fine as well.

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pioneer is a great product! first one I had was a Super Tuner in my 79 F-250, boy do I miss that truck. 400 Modified, C-6 tranny... oops sorry I was day dreaming again. Can't beat the price of Pioneer products either.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im very happy w/ my Pioneer DEH-980BT (blue tooth...never miss a call
cause the "system" is too loud)...the ipod, hd radio and mini-disc integration
works PERFECTLY !

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yours is a little more high speed than mine, I don't even have blue tooth on my cell phone yet! but I love the my lower level one just the same. I think after we upgrade the wifes durango to a new ride I will get her a car with the active synch from ford and upgrade my stereo again to one like yours.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
BTW pulling the radio is very easy, DIN tools are under $5.00 or two 6 inch coat hangers bent with the ends filed a little flat work fine as well.

Just so you know, starting in the 05 model year, that has changed. You now have to remove the Dash surround to unbolt the factory radio. It's a little more work now, but you don't have those two ugly holes on either side of the radio either.

The radio in my 05, which is proabably the same as in the OP's 2007, requires an adapter like theAAI-FRD04 (fourth one down) then you can hook up any pre-amp RCA audio source to it, or get a rca to headphone plug adapter/cable and plug your MP3 player or other audio source directly in to it.
You can then listen to it on the factory radio by pushing the AUX button, they also have the full Ipod adapters available, that allow you to control an Ipod through the factory radio.

Just saw the same thing, but from a different manufacturer Clicky Here It does the exact same thing as the AAI-FRD04

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone about the difference in the 04 and 05 radios. I should have known better because my father has an 05. Do the Ipod adapters work better on the newer radios than the 04 and older. the bad thing abut the 04 and older is the that it was slow when you navigated the Ipod through the radio

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know the only problem w/ those adapters is they use
an analog input...<lower quality audio>

and you still have to use the <small> ipod <while driving> to
select the next song and to see the display <names etc>.

nice thing about the aftermarket radios is the ipod is connected
by a cable that provides a digital audio signal and displays the
names, tracks etc on the radio head unit (face)...most aftermarket
digital interfaces actually disable the ipod display and "wheel"...so you
have no need to see or touch the ipod itself once its connected...
i toss the wifes in the armrest (you could put it in the cubby hole/pocket
or glove box)...its also outta sight from crack head thieves this way too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58