Backup Cameras at Costco?

dpantazis

Reaction score
Anyone seen/used the wireless backup cameras at Costco? I tried posting this yesterday, but it did not show up.

They have a $80 wireless color nitevision (infrared) backup camera. Brand is "WINPLUS". 3.5" LCD screen.

Anyone use a wireless backup camera? Thoughts? Advice?

i figure worse comes to worst, i may canabalise it for a lunkercam.

i will post follow up later.

dennis

amtx915

EP Powder Coating
Reaction score
I saw it the other day as well. I was actually tempted to buy, but I didn't like the screen. Looks kinda cheap too. I think the $80 price tag is what got me interested but I had to question the overall quality and that was the deal breaker for me.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
costco has a great return policy...ive taken OPEN software back for a
FULL refund <no questions asked>.

Ive been watching those cameras too...would solve alot of fights when
i need the help/guidance hitching the trailer.

dpantazis

Reaction score
well, most of the install is done. its not bad considering the price.

the monitor is nice. its color and it seems to have decent resolution. its finicky with the cigarette lighter power cord (i do not get good connection with the adapter, i have to jiggle the plug for it to stay on). i am trying to figure out if there is a power on reverse trigger wire under the dash for hardwired installation.

the camera has built in infrared leds. the night vision works pretty good in total darkness. with the yard lights and LED light bar though, i think the darkness sensor wigs out a little bit and the camera seems to be switching from nite-vision to day-vision. piece of tape may fix that obscuring a bit of the sensor opening.

the bad: the bracket. using the factory bracket to the back of the license plate does not give the best field of view. i want it as a parking aid. (think parallel parking a supercab longbed on city streets :eek:) i could not see the bumper edge in the field of view. you should be able to see a tow ball if its in the line of sight. the liscence plate well is so deep in the bumper. on a car, it should be ok.

the camera gimbal does not allow the camera to rotate more than 15-20 degrees from horizontal. i considered mounting it under the bumper somehow, but i did not like its exposure to road hazards or weather.

i decided to move the camera to the topper, next to the high mounted stoplight. you can remove the gimbal from the sheet metal bracket. the results was that it did not point down enough to see the bumper. i need to make up ether an angled spacer block or mill up a shim for the gimbal mount to free up the camera to rotate down more.

the monitor has aux inputs and it comes with an additional RCA input cable. you could use it with any standard RCA device too (DVD, camera, etc...

EDIT:

some googling and fleabaying yielded these links-

unit on ebay

image borrowed from ebay:
4164_1.JPG

dennis

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reviews i read on line complained about the image quality, range and
interferance....any thoughts on that ?

dpantazis

Reaction score
here are some pictures-

backup camera pictures from trucks photos on webshots

test 1 is view from camera in daylight. camera mounted on license plate.

test 2 is test subjects

test 3 is nitevision. camera mounted on topper, about 6'4" from ground surface. note ball and tape measure in picture.

test 4 is pic of test subjects. my ball is on another drawbar, i put coil of solder where ball would be. its white.

test 5 is pic of box on 5 gal bucket on tailgate.

test 6 is view of test subjects.

range: camera is at tailgate, receiver is on drivers visor.

grainy- not so much, the image is clear.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
here are some pics of DVD player as input to the AV port. pics are not that great, focus is too close to the camera and i get reflections. but i think that you get the idea.

the screen image is just like any other LCD.

comparatively then, yes, the wireless image is a bit grainy, but its definitely legible and usable. then again, all infrared nitevision images i have seen with security cameras are a bit grainy.

the other thing to check is to see how much voltage and amperage the thing draws. its pulling its power from the reverse light pigtail. it might be 18 ga. wire.

i may scrounge around for a hardwired nitevision camera and put in a relay with a dedicated power line to the battery.

dennis

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to turn on and display an image (from the camera ?)
It doesnt seem that the angle of view is very wide....wondering if
i could use a (better) wider angle lens instead of the one theyve
supplied (obviously id have run a wire for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58