Help Needed BAD batch of fuel-Please help-truck down!!!

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok fellow SD members, I need some ideas and/or pointers in the right direction so here goes a long one:

Last Sunday I filled both tanks at a kangaroo truck stop near me (Attalla, AL). On Mon., I started having a miss (kicking & bucking). I was running off the front tank at this point and by Tues, it was down to about half. I had changed the fuel filter & drained the filter bowl(did this on Mon. eve). Looked clean so I thought: bad dirty filer. It cleared up on Tues. and I drove it all day on my job.
Wed. morning, it starts to miss again a couple times on my way to work. I didn't have to work that day so I stopped to get the air fixed first, then wanted to try and find out why it was missing. After the air was fixed, I ran it on the way home(been in the mid 90's down here!) and had to shut off the air to make it home. As soon as I had pulled away from the place that fixed the air, the truck fell on its face! I couldn't hardly touch the foot-feed to try and get it moving faster without it bucking and missing at all! Got it home, cooled it down and started draining fuel from the bowl into clean containers.
I had emptied the front tank and also found a bunch of sediment, and the fuel looked cloudy. Front tank now has clean fuel from a more "trusted" place and I am still getting sediment & smaller chunks from the bowl.
Yesterday, I drained 5 gal of fuel through the bowl from this front tank and filtered it, and returned it to the tank. Still got sediment and chunks from the bowl this way. Unhooked the inlet fuel line from the fuel pump and clamped a siphon pump hose to it. I siphoned 5-6 gal of fuel directly from the tank and filtered it on the way. Got nothing. Even poured 2 gal. into a clear container un-filtered and it was clean & clear!
I think I ended up with a bad batch of fuel with sediment from the bottom of their tanks. I am thinking that this has collected in the fuel pump, and now I am getting sediment from the fuel pump and this is also what is causing my miss. Does this sound like a good diagnosis? I am not sure if siphoning with a hand pump will pull any sediment from the tank if there is any in there. Today I am going to test this theory by pumping air into the fuel tank with an air hose to stir the fuel while siphoning. This should tell me if there is anything in the tank. I plan on changing the fuel pump today as well(wish me luck, I have read all about that job!). I will have to pull the filter bowl to change the pump so that will get cleaned out as well.

I would also like to get any information I can about what parts(and part #'s) I will need for a filter setup pre-pump so this doesn't happen again.

A little more info as I remember it: it isn't smoking during all of this, no bottom end or top end metal clanking noise, and I am ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out which is the right direction on this!!:dizzy
I also had to take the rest of the week off because of this and my internet modem went out last night!! Had to hit wally world and buy another one and finally got it back last night about 11. Hasn't been my week!!

Any help, guidance, pointers, write ups, etc. will be greatly appreciated and welcomed!

Dan

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Hey Dan. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you living in Attalla now?

I wish I knew what to do to help out, but I know nothing about those early diesels.

If you get stuck on the side of the road again, give me a call. I will PM you my number.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
now I am getting sediment from the fuel pump

This could be dead algae. If so, may have come from the stations tank or it is coming loose from the walls of your fuel tank.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YouTube - GAS IN THE FUEL

try this. and just toss the fuel, dont filter it. I know it kills us to do so but Id just save the truck over a couple of tanks. Hope it helps:D

......X2, AND.. I'd take a couple samples of the Dirty, Crappy fuel (and the reciept) Back to the Station... and see about a refund ??

After you get it cleaned out as best you can.. I'd carry a couple extra fuel filters with ya.. for the few weeks too ?

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well guys, after a lot of sweating and diesel all over me :eek:, I have discovered that the front tank has a broken boot and sock on the end of the sending unit. The screen was laying in the bottom of the tank and had a huge buildup of sediment and chunks on it (laying right next to the pickup tube) so when the truck was on, it was pulling junk right off the screen laying in the bottom of the tank!

The tank has bands of surface rust in the bottom half of the tank all around. I already have a new tank on order, and will be in the store in the morn. I am NOT buying a new sending unit from the stealership for $364.00 just to have a new boot and screen that wont catch what I think should be caught in the tank anyway!!

If anyone has details, a write-up, pics or whatever of a remote (under the hood) inline filter setup that I can put before the pump, PLEASE send me a PM or post it here so I can do this while I have everything apart. I need to have this truck on the road Sunday so it is ready for work on Mon.

Thanks for the posts guys, and keep 'em coming!

Dan

(Bamasixgun, its been awhile since I talked to ya. No, I'm not living in Attalla, just was in that area and stopped in at kangaroo to fuel up. I don't know if its bad fuel from there or not now. Might just be old age :dunno)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If anyone has details, a write-up, pics or whatever of a remote (under the hood) inline filter setup that I can put before the pump, PLEASE send me a PM or post it here so I can do this while I have everything apart. I need to have this truck on the road Sunday so it is ready for work on Mon.

I don't know how an OBS is set up compared with a Superduty as far as the fuel pump is concerned.

But this is what I did:
View attachment 10019

It is mounted on the outside frame rail with enough washers stacked to stand off the mounting bracket enough where the parking brake cable passes between without touching bracket or filter. I have it plumbed between the tank & pump so it removes any crud from the tank before it gets to and trashes the pump.

Wix 33418 fuel filter/water separator
mounting base
pipe thread hose fittings to fit base
diesel safe 3/8" fuel hose
hose clamps
mounting hdwre

The Wix number can be crossed to Napa. Car Quest etc.

BTW: Fill the filter with fuel before installing it to the base. Priming the pump with a dry filter is a major biatch.

On edit: The Wix number for the mounting base is 24309, again crossable to Napa, Car Quest etc.

Last edited:

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tail Gunner! That's exactly what I was looking for. Well, it will definitely do the job anyway. I was kinda hoping for a see through canister with a drop in filter for under the hood, but that will work too. Is that a drain pet-cock on the bottom of that filter? And is that the filter that gets changed or is there a drop in filter inside?

Thanks again, Dan

On edit: Do you have any other pics of this? Mounting bracket and closeup of where the bracket is mounted?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can use TG's setup and put your pump BEFORE the filter, or the filter after the pump. Mounting it on the frame below the drivers seat is a good way to get access to it. Keep it low. Good luck, you will get it.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW :dunno

On my 'ol 91, I installed a Dahl/Baldwin (100 series), pre-filter between the tank selector valve and the fuel pump. Fab'd some brackets and mounted it on the frame rail, under the front seat area. Worked well, easy to maintain and with the see-thru canister and drain valve it was/is (I have one on my 2K too) easy to check for any sediments and drain any water ?

To mention just one of the SDD site sponcors...Bill, at Dieselsite.com has complete pre-filter kits available.

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg