BANKS EXHAUST

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the tailpipe egt's should be taken into some consideration during regen, its pretty hot and in theory, if the right material was close enough to the tailpipe it could ignite, does anyone have the tools to take a real-world measurement of the temps during regen? I'm actually curious to see what it is compared to what they say it is.

xgaspx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know someone who has installed an exhaust kit on their 2008SuperDuty? I just got the Banks single exhaust and Ram Air kit. I installed the Ram Air with no problem, but I am not sure I can handle the exhaust.

The Banks salesperson said "anybody can do it," but I am not so sure that "anybody" includes me. I can change my oil, on my old truck I installed a few things (Class IV hitch, prerunner bar, Hella lights, in-bed toolbox, aftermarket stereo and speakers, etc.) and I have a decent tool collection (including a torque wrench), but I have never done something as involved as installing an exhaust. I don't want to get halfway through the installation and then find myself getting the truck towed to the nearest muffler shop.

Does anyone know if cutting is required to get the old exhaust off?

Thanks. FYI, I am new to superdutydiesel.com and will be posting pics of my truck once I get this exhaust on.

highflier

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
banks exh

Just puy mine on. if you have access to a lift you might not need a torch. I was on my back and had to use a torch to get mine out. I used my hand to judge the temp and it was cooler than stock during regen opps but not much.

xgaspx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a friend of a friend put mine on last weekend. He put it up on a lift and was able to get the old exhaust off without cutting. So I have the old exhaust in one piece so I can put it back on if I have to return the truck to "stock form" for warranty purposes.

I feel a noticeable power difference when accelerating above about 20 mph (good). I don't know if its real or just in my head though. I also noticed that the first turbo seems to spool up slower since I put the ram air filter on (bad). Hopefully that really is just in my head.

How do you know when the engine is regenerating?

JRJ04

Reaction score
possibly a slower spool up cause it doesnt allow to build as much with that diff air intake? I know it should build more boost, but maybe with the design of the turbo it is working against you.

highflier

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
increasing exhu flow causes a decrease in backpressure and will result in a loss of boost. which will result in a slower spool-up of the turbo's.

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went 5" dpf bak with a rbp 6" tip , engine light came on throwing the could dpf low threshold and i cleared it and it came on again then suddenly went off by its self i was gonna ad a muffler to add some back pressure but the light hasnt came back on . I thought when i got my s&b intake 2 weeks ago that it was gonna throw a code but it didnt but as soon as i opend up that exhaust to 5" it thrw the code but so far its been 3 days and it hasnt came back on plus i put a rbp programmer on yesterday still no light so i see but im keeping my fingers crossed ,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64