batteries dead after sitting 2 weeks with newer diehard platnums

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The acid in the batteries keeps them from freezing unless it gets extremely cold. Colder than it gets here in the US 48 states.

Dave

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The napa battery that was in the truck when I got it froze. Its outside was covered in frost and the sides were buldging. It was still under warrenty so was less than a year or so old.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The acid in the batteries keeps them from freezing unless it gets extremely cold. Colder than it gets here in the US 48 states.

Dave

Just my take, not trying to ripple the waves...but...I grew up on a farm in a cold place "on the edge of the prairie" here in CONUS -- Dave, you can freeze a discharged battery...for sure! Been there, done that, more than once ...!!! :eek: Once discharged it's like pickle juice or vinegar and the electrolyte's specific gravity drops and it does indeed...turn into ice crystals. Charging a frozen battery is delicate, best to let it thaw first, or watch the amps unless you want an explosion. That would be ugly. And you've likely killed it for the huge CCA load we put on 'em with these engines, regardless.

Read the attached article (below)...or google this phrase, if you want to learn more about it, and to know how to protect your batteries from freezing: "freezepoint of discharged battery". If you read the Wikipedia article, you'll see mention also of sulphation of the lead plates -- hence the desulphate mode on the charger in the earlier post.

-Rich

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rich, always willing to learn. :) If his batteries were discharged, as he mentioned, then they would freeze, again as he mentioned.

Dave, still learning

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, not trying to be a smart aleck, just clarifying!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery freeze points depend on state of charge or discharge. A brand new fully charged battery will not freeze unless the outside temperature is about - 77 F. A battery that's only charged to 75% will freeze when the outside temperature reaches around - 35 F. A 50% charged battery will freeze around -10 F. A 25% charged battery will freeze around + 5 F.

A note here always always charge a new battery before you put it in and use it. Also look at the build date if it's over 90 days. Try to get another battery. Most parts stores should rotate battery's every 30 days +/- for fresh stock.

Thats my .02

Y2KW57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The OP said he has Sears DieHard PLATINUM batteries, which are not lead acid... they are Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM). As such, the given freeze points relative to the state of discharge for standard batteries probably will not directly apply. One of the benefits of AGM batteries is having a much lower susceptability to freezing.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno
Battery freeze points depend on state of charge or discharge. A brand new fully charged battery will not freeze unless the outside temperature is about - 77 F. A battery that's only charged to 75% will freeze when the outside temperature reaches around - 35 F. A 50% charged battery will freeze around -10 F. A 25% charged battery will freeze around + 5 F.

A note here always always charge a new battery before you put it in and use it. Also look at the build date if it's over 90 days. Try to get another battery. Most parts stores should rotate battery's every 30 days +/- for fresh stock.

Thats my .02

And from my own personal experiences.. My .02 also.

The OP said he has Sears DieHard PLATINUM batteries, which are not lead acid... they are Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM). As such, the given freeze points relative to the state of discharge for standard batteries probably will not directly apply. One of the benefits of AGM batteries is having a much lower susceptability to freezing.

And also a Point To Ponder ?

Back in my " Ol' Antarctic Explorer" dayz.. We use "Special", cold weather batteries... which are now marketed as "AGM" batteries. We use them in temps from +40, to - 120 (yes, -120). (In Heated battery boxes of course)

:dunno Probably, the reason I have 2.. in my 2K ? ;)

Joe

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, Joe, I did not know you lived on top of the mountain where the temps drop so low, still!

FWIW..the batteryminder product I gave in an earlier post handles (charges and desulfates) flooded cell (conventional), AGM/maintenance-free (e.g. the copper top?), and gel too. Non-avionic.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
So lets catch up. Both batteries are not happy (possibly needing replacement). But why did they get there? Not replacing at the same time or some parasitic draw? Lets keep digging here... ;):D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14