Batteries, Revisited

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always talked UP, G/Cell (Optima's). Now I'm not so sure. The 2 yellow top 850cca Batts I had, both crapped out on me. Had'm for 34 of their 36 month (Sears) life expectancy.

Lately, it's been in the 20s at night here in CenCal. I began to notice my truck being slow to turn over & fire up, I plugged him in.. same thing. Yesterday morning he turned over 'bout 8 revs, the batteries Croaked.

Hooked up the Booster, fire him up and scurried to Sears.

The Manager at Sears sez: the don't carry G/Cell type batts anymore cuz they've had to many "Bring Backs" due to failure to hold a charge. Premature failure. Said I was lucky, most >Ford< Diesels with G/Cells don't last as long.

Specifically: Diesel applications with 2 Batteries. They just don't hold up... what with Glow Plugs and then turning over a High Commpression Diesel engine, (kinda his words but made sense to me) Who knows how many times. Not to say ALL G/Cells are bad, but "Bring Back" data has made Sears decide to go to, primarily an AGM type Battery, for anything other than a Lead Acid type.

Anyway.. They Warantied (not much) the G/cells, I payed the diff, for 2, 960cca, Group 65, AGM type Die Hard-Platinum's.

Thought I'd pass it on.

Now, This is just ONE Sears guy, but for those of you that are in the New Battery Buying mode ? Maybe ask a few questions..:dunno before you buy ?? What ever Type you buy:dunno

Joe

I forgot how fast my 2K will turn over.. With Good Batteries. :) ;)

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
I hear people saying how good yellow tops are on the net all the time, but from the people I know that have used them have always said they crap out in the 2-3 year range no matter what. They arn't a long term battery. My stock 04 ford ones crapped out after 3 years of heavy use, and I just replaced with a couple 850CCA exide subzeros (it gets cold here) at $100 each compared to yellows at $190 each. I don't mind paying $200 every 2 years to replace the batteries, aslong as my truck starts.

Cheers
Jeff

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i / people i know around here have never had good luck with ANY optima battery, red yellow or blue.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good info...i by all accounts im probably livin' on borrowed time
(still got the stockers)...

thanks for saving me some coin <but be yall payin' it forward>,
ill mark the optima off my wish list.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You know what? I am sitting here and reading all of these entries on batteries, while I am thinking "What is wrong with Motorcraft batteries?" I am not too hard on my batteries, so I will be getting two more Motorcraft batteries when my stock batteries dye. Almost 3 1/2 years on the factory batteries.

Dave

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
You know what? I am sitting here and reading all of these entries on batteries, while I am thinking "What is wrong with Motorcraft batteries?" I am not too hard on my batteries, so I will be getting two more Motorcraft batteries when my stock batteries dye. Almost 3 1/2 years on the factory batteries.

Dave

Price! Good batteries but no way im paying $220 a pop when I can get a good battery for $100.

Cheers
Jeff

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take me wrong here Guyz'n Galz. I'm not Bashing G/Cells here. Just passing on what One Tire & Battery guy said. But if Major retailer no longer carries an item.. for whatever reason.. I feel like it's something to pass along to folks like us that have yer, NOT SO EVERYDAY pick-ups.

It was my first go'round with Gel Cells. Did a bit of reading/research before I bought'm. For the Money I payed, and the service I got from'm.. I'm not impressed and won't go that way again.

These AGM Platinum's are: Free replacement for 36 months, Warrantied for 100 months. That's what made me pay attention. 9 years worth of product guarantee/warranty ? I'm Okay with that.;tu :sweet ;tu

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have just used the wrong battery I had a red top in my old bronco for over four years. With the power draw I had on that I was suprised (1000w system,off road lights etc. Killed three alternators but that battery never let me down and thay dont leak. The red top is a starting battery yellow is a deep cycle and the blue is a marine grade. The only other battery I ever had any luck with is interstate even the motorcrafts in my truck are starting to leak.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58