Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Found the old pic I was looking for :D

OptimaYellowTop.jpg

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL-RIGHTY then. I was absolutly WRONG. I used the Wrong battery, for the Wrong application.

And, even tho in the common, local, consumer adds, they were Advertised and Marketed as "Gel Cells".. and the "Yellow Top" was touted as an excellent Starting Battery and it's Deep Cycle quality was to have given it some longevity. I was obviously, BS'd. WRONG there too. Didnt do enough In-Depth technical research.

But.. As Battery structure, style, design and technicaly uninformed as I was.. I stand behind the main intent of my post:

At least ONE Major, National (but local store) retailer.. no longer carries this type of Battery, because of "bring back" data and history, due to premature failure, inside design perameters. An Alert, of sorts, or at least, A Point to Ponder, before anyone made their next Battery purchase.

I will no longer do that.

:sorry ;) :D

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
And, even tho in the common, local, consumer adds, they were Advertised and Marketed as "Gel Cells".

Yeap, This is misinformation by stores selling them and people understanding about Gel Cells in general.

Believe me, You aren't the only one I have told this to :sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok then. my point is i just dont think that yellow tops are really the correct application for our trucks.

I agree, now that mine have crapped out. And I kinda knew that when I bought them. I was focused on the 850cca's and takeing a shot at a new (to me) battery design concept.

But... if we all stuck with the >Correct Application< theory ?..our PSDs would'nt run the way we want them to.

I never said they were BAD. I said what I said, about the premature failure rates of this style, or type of Battery.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, now that mine have crapped out. And I kinda knew that when I bought them. I was focused on the 850cca's and takeing a shot at a new (to me) battery design concept.

But... if we all stuck with the >Correct Application< theory ?..our PSDs would'nt run the way we want them to.

I never said they were BAD. I said what I said, about the premature failure rates of this style, or type of Battery.

fair enough bro. i also wouldn't be surprised if his spiel about bring-backs was just a load to get you to buy whatever he dished out next, especially given the fact that he pushed agm on you with optimas actually being agms. in my experience, optimas are commonly regarded as excellent batteries and are pretty much the status quo in the offroad world. our trucks are on the pretty extreme end of demands with large displacement/high compression and the draw of glow plugs.

good luck,
Paul

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also wouldn't be surprised if his spiel about bring-backs was just a load to get you to buy whatever he dished out next, especially given the fact that he pushed agm on you with optimas actually being agms.
good luck,
Paul

Nah.. local store was short one Platinum battery, I had to wait til the next day to do the deal. When I got home I called another Sears Auto store about 40 miles from here.. asked'm about Optima's, they said they don't carry them anymore because of customer complaints. Made me feel Warm'n Fuzzy with the local stores story.. But who knows, in this Day & Age. Could be just a Regional thing, Could be JUST Sears too.

Still worth check'n out.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my point was that sears probably did stop carrying optima, but maybe not because of bring backs. if he said optimas were junk because they're gel cells, i wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong/and/or lying about why the stopped carrying them.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Optimas in my 2000 and have had to replace them once. The second set has been in about 3 years and 36k miles.
I have Motorcraft in my 06. They were replaced at almost exactly one year and 35k miles. The truck now has about 68k miles on it, and I am thinking that the next round of replacements is due. I am not sure that I will replace with the optimas. It is just not worth it in my opinion. Mostly just a shiney thing that is neat to look at but not really worth the price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58