Batteries, Revisited

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
...I've learned 2 things from this adventure tho.

1. Don't EVER alert anyone about ANYTHING, and mention the Brand, model or size. If it doesnt meet your expectations. On the Internet

2. Add BATTERIES.. to the Oil brand & weight, Oil Filter brand, Lubricant brand, Air filter brand & style.. or the Store/Site where you bought it (?) to my list of... "Things Not To Post about"... Anywhere on the Internet.

BIG JOE, I think you were kidding when you said that...at least I HOPE you were!

IMO, some who post here are a little too commited to their opinions, WAY too closed minded, and use attitude and little manipulative words to influence and shame/embarress others into agreeing with them. ALL of the above is inappropriate. However...your thread sparked a lot of conversation that I found to be enlightening!

Bottom-line: There is no such thing as a stupid question, and we should never be afraid to put ourselves out there. We may miss an opportunity to learn! I appreciate your thread....

Ken

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE, I think you were kidding when you said that...at least I HOPE you were!

IMO, some who post here are a little too commited to their opinions, WAY too closed minded, and use attitude and little manipulative words to influence and shame/embarress others into agreeing with them. ALL of the above is inappropriate. However...your thread sparked a lot of conversation that I found to be enlightening!

Bottom-line: There is no such thing as a stupid question, and we should never be afraid to put ourselves out there. We may miss an opportunity to learn! I appreciate your thread....

Ken

Point well taken Ken, Thanks.

My last Post on "Batteries Revisited" was meant to be a bit humorous, but, I guess, for some, I may have touched a nerve or two. I didn't intend to do that, I meant no harm.

However.. There are those on here that respond to Posts, in a more "Inappropriate Manner" than what some may have perceived mine to have been, IMO.

But your Post Is probably one we should ALL think about from time to time.

Thanks again Ken

Last edited:

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Batteries

Well said Kenholl. I have been using battery warmers since moving up here. They are only about 80 watts.With them warm there voltage stays up. The last batteries lasted about 5 years . I have two -40*C rated extention cords that feed a 3 gang plastic recepitical box. Have even rigged up the 1400W gen to be fed from a plastic fuel container for were I can't get power.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
My 06 with 58K on the clock killed it's first set of batteries already. 1yr & 8mo. I didn't bother with going back to the dealer for more motorcraft since I had the same issue with the last truck. Picked up some new ones this AM. I did the Autozone brand, duralast gold 875/1000A. So we'll see how they last.

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced both my batterys with the biggest I could get my hands on at the time witch is MC, 60 month free replacement, 875cc, at $194 bucks for a set.

I think DOGMAN has the right idea. The same theory works for just about all the replaceable parts in your vehicle. Look for the warranty and unless the full warrantied part does something less than the short warrantied item get the big warranty. From what it sounds like here batteries go dead no matter what after 3 or 4 years, and they all do the same thing. If you can get free replacements for 5 years I say we found a winner. Doesn't sound like they are much more expensive either.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
I have Run Redtop's in almost every vehicle I have owned in the last 10 years.

Wifes TDI Beetle------------------ RedTop 2 years old
My Rock Buggy --------------------Redtop 3 Years Old
My Nissan 720 with a SBC:innocent---- -- Redtop 5 Years Old:eek:
My Father in Laws PSD 2----------- Redtops 4 Years old
My Mother in laws CRD Liberty has a Redtop from the factory and it's 2 years old;tu

Most Failures I have seen are at the 3 year mark. They have a 3 year free replacement warranty.
I also see a lot of failures from people trying to fast charge them. This type of core design will only handle a trickle charge.
Also many many times people drain their battery leaving something on, jump start it and drive it around to charge it.This only leaves a good surface charge and the battery will never have any "NUTS" again.The next cold spell they will take a dump on ya.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58