Beating a dead horse discussion about the huch mod. IDEA.

NEokcTERROR

BREAKING STUFF !!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Just wondering instead of replacing all the fittings etc that you can suck air from between the strainer and the pump.
Why not put a submersible style low pressure pump in the tank? Anybody know anyone who may have tried this? The gasoline Ford trucks used this for years in the 80's and 90's. The pump in the tank produces about 9-12 PSI and supplies more than sufficient volume and eliminates any possibility of the frame pump sucking air anywhere between the pump and the fuel.

Any one think of PRO's / CON's ??????????????????????

NEokcTERROR

BREAKING STUFF !!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
SMOKNZ said:
I think he is saying have an intank pump feeding the inline pump. I have used a setup like this in a Turbo Camaro.

Exactly my point. Keeping the high pressure pump right where it is.

There is always some vacuum between the frame pump and the tank pickup, which a high volume low pressure pump in the tank would completely eliminate. Vacuum expands the molecules in air and all fuels have some air in it. However microscopic it may be it's there. It probably isn't worth any more performance, driveability, smoother idle etc. Just a new twist on a proven concept.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NEokcTERROR said:
It probably isn't worth any more performance, driveability, smoother idle etc. Just a new twist on a proven concept.

A.K.A. "fixing" a problem that isn't there and opening yourself up to more hassle than it's worth...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
interestingly enough
back in the days of Naval aviation maintenance on an aircraft to remain nameless.

every year we did a fuel system integrity check

we pressurized all the fuel lines with nitrogen then monitored the manifold guages for leak down .
then we applied vacum to the same lines and checked for leakage

the system had boost pumps(in the fuel cell) as well as high pressure engine driven pumps

it was advised to not run the boost pumps except in an emergency because lines that have conditioned themselves to sealing with a slight vacum, ( intake )tend to leak like all heck when a slight pressure is applied, even though the design is to not leak under pressure. this caused numerous in flight fuel fires and flame outs.
what does this have to do with our system
its designed to be a negative pressure seal, although it does leak, so if we applied a boost to eliminate the vacum, it would be a required at all times boost after we changed out all the o-rings. yes it would work
but i think cost and associted fabrication may preclude its use, if we already have the external regulater and fuel return in place.
however it is interesting to think about.
i need to run the math

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If youre up for it I say go for it. We already know the Hutch mod flat out works, so in the event that your idea isnt all that grand you can always fall back on proven tech. The biggest downer I see with it is the eventuality of losing that in tank pump and having to drop the tank(s) again to repair. Where as with the Hutch, its a "once and yer done" deal.

SprintRacer26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a good discussion about adding a high volume low pressure pump before the stock pump over at FTE. Pretty good reading, I wont dwell into it too much but the guy did say he noticed more black smoke at take offs and more seat of the pants power increase, also noticed he could get more boost too.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
SprintRacer26 said:
Theres a good discussion about adding a high volume low pressure pump before the stock pump over at FTE. Pretty good reading, I wont dwell into it too much but the guy did say he noticed more black smoke at take offs and more seat of the pants power increase, also noticed he could get more boost too.

Is he using the stock regulator and feed system? What's his pressure doing under load with and w/o pusher? Has he use a piece of clear tubing to see how much air he has in his fuel? HEUI injectors hate air in the fuel.

My stock regulator didn't work very good and I could drop 10 psi at WOT in either "hot" program. I was starting to think my pump was going bad after getting bad fuel. I did the hutch mods in the tank and on the frame rail when I cleaned out the bad stuff. When I got a Dahl filter it showed you still get fuel slosh and my truck sucks air around 3/8ths of a tank. Keep it half full or more and there's no air in my Dahl. When I changed to the dual circuit and external regulator the pressure drop is completely gone. Smoke is easier to produce(injectors like fresh, non-aerated fuel at a constant pressure) so I have to watch my mirror when I shift to moderate the throttle since I don't want to waste any of that expensive fuel. The truck is way smoother driving in town and throttle is more precise. The drop kinda sucked even at slow speeds there was a lull in the throttle. I'm happy with what I've done!

If you run a pusher pump with no pre-pump filter then you're just gonna kill 2 pumps with the fuel available to us these days IMO. #2 is dirty!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58