Big Drop in Fuel Mileage

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, just ordered 4 rotors and pads from Frozen rotors. about $660 to my door. supposed to be here next week. The guys at Frozen rotors were awesome. Top quality customer service. now I just gotta pick up the caliper hardware kits from napa and then I'll be doing the brakes next weekend. anyone got a good wiki link for this?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, Its time for brakes, and I'm gonna spend the extra buck and get frozen rotors and pads from our sponsor on here. Big Joe, after searching threads on here, I found your thread when you did your rotors and brakes. what other parts should I have on hand that are cheap to replace while I have the rotors pulled? I know I should go ahead and repack the front end bearings, but other than that? does anyone have a good wiki on how to do our brakes? Iv'e never done them on our trucks and it's been years since I've done brakes at all. just wanting to make sure theres nothing I'm forgetting before I tear everything apart.

As far as a "How To" (?) Not much help here Clint, cuz from F-???, year to year, build date to build date there are big & small differences in pieces & parts. I ordered Everything, complete & totalaly New for my 2K, 350 DRW, and just replaced everything do with the Brakes. My bearings were all good. Replaced the seals Jus' because.. but that's it.

The guyz at Frozen Rotors have it "Dailed In".. EVERYTHING they sent me WORKED & FIT.

I'd betcha it'll all come back to you.. but as you get into it.. if there's any gremlins along the way.. just get on here and, one of us will jump in.. fer shur.

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, I installed all four rotors and pad sets and wow!! what a difference!! it stops on a dime now and my fuel mileage is looking better as well. Upon replacing the rotors, the only bad one was my rear passenger. The inside brake did look like it had almost froze and started eating the rotor. It was pretty bad. I also had a little trouble getting the rear rotors off as they were stuck pretty good, but after some penetrating lube and giving it a few love taps while spinning them did the trick. My caliper slide pins all looked great and I decided to reuse them after regreasing them. I'm very happy with the new setup. No more worries while bringing a load to a quick stop!! Thanks everyone for their input!

This is the link I followed to help me along with my brake and rotor job.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/pshawk.php

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Did you check your brake caliper slide pins? Back in the day when I still had my F-250, I had a dragging rear brake and pulled both the rear brakes off for inspection. It turned out that on the dragging brake, the slide pins on the calipers were seized. I tried to get them loose, but no luck. Since I believe in replacing brakes in pairs, I got new calipers and brackets for both sides. You don't have the road salt corrosion problems around Barksdale that we have here in da U.P., but it's still a good idea to check and lube the slide pins everytime you do brake maintenance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58