Biodiesel content in 6.4l

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO they say only 5% of biodiesel is allowed in the 6.4 so b5 it is , but i came across some B99 now how bad would that be if i ran some of that mixed along with some diesel say bout 5 gal. , 99% BD what will happen nothing bad i suppose ???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the 6.4 engine, but I have run B99 in my 6.0 engine without any problems. Just be sure you CARRY spare fuel filters and the wrench to change them. You will need these on a lonely road at night. A flash light is required also. It runs very quite with B99. Mileage drops off a little and no need to worry about gelling here in California, unless you are up in the mountains.

Dave

Last edited:

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see the only place i found it was a station up in santa barbara , ive been recently goin up to big bear to get as much snowboarding i can before season ends by now its not that cold high 30's im sure if i dump a bottle of that diesel kleen cetane booster it says it works great with biodiesel , but the thing is in my manual on the 6.4 says no more then B5 bio diesel hahah finding a place like that is a joke most are like b20 or higher , i hear my fuel filters are little more restrictive then ones on the 6.0 ehhh i want to take the chance go fill up a couple 50 gal drums and bring em home but wondering if my warranty would go to crap , fuel fitlers be like 75 bucks never changed them before but i kno they are required to be change pretty often in running bio D im shure its not hard to do . what you think half tank of diesel and half bio that should drop the numbers of the bio yea ?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ford says the same thing for my truck, but you can not find B5 here. You will be voiding your warranty if your truck screws up and you have to take it in. CHANGE THOSE FILTERS or you will be sitting. It is not hard.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can mix what ever you want. 50/50 with B99 = B50. You maybe able to buy what you want without mixing. What are you trying do accomplish? The cheapest fuel is veg oil, but you are asking for problems if you don't know all about veg. Diesel fuel is the next cheapest and Bio is the most expensive, at least around here.

Dave

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
so my semi educated opinion is that b100 would run just perfectly in the 6.4.

i was told by a factory rep that b5 is the limit for these common rail setups (not just international) because bio is "hard to control" (regarding ingredients and water content). rather than deal with it they set the limit super safe at 5%.

if i had a 6.4 i would not be afraid to put bio in it at any concentration.

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now i want to try it hahah , not trying to accomplish anything dave just wanted to fill up on bio give it a shot in the freeway ride home from santa barbara

`08 BlueCrew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am hearing that some states (in my case PA) will be mandating no less than 10% bio in a few years. What's up when one cannot get 5% or less?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58