Black engine oil

jamzin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am a first time owner of a 2006 F250 6.0 liter diesel. I changed the oil and filter using a Fram filter and Shell 15x40 Rotello oil.
Pulling the dip stick after 50 miles to check level I noticed that the oil is already black.
Is this a diesel thing or is something wrong?
My gas engine oil always stayed clean looking for at least 1000 miles.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sounds like a bypass oil filtration kit could be an option for your 6.0L

With our 7.3L we drain down the HPOP resevoir of about 14 ounces of old engine oil which really helps extend the new oil's clarity past 2k miles,we don't tow regularly so it looks clean for a long time.

Here's a very Informative Thread on the oil bypass kit,It's also on my to do list for our truck.

I suggest Motorcraft or Purolator oil filters for Powerstrokes personally.

snakyjake

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, check into getting an oil bypass system.

Search for Donaldson, Baldwin, Amsoil BMK-21, Fleetguard Venturi, Oil Guard, FS-2500.

Which is better for the 7.3L? I haven't seen anything conclusive. I have the Amsoil, and very happy with it. It's a high quality kit, using a high quality oil filter I believe by Donaldson. I have no regrets. I won't change until someone can prove another system is better.

joesimoes2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am a first time owner of a 2006 F250 6.0 liter diesel. I changed the oil and filter using a Fram filter and Shell 15x40 Rotello oil.
Pulling the dip stick after 50 miles to check level I noticed that the oil is already black.
Is this a diesel thing or is something wrong?
My gas engine oil always stayed clean looking for at least 1000 miles.

The reason your oil is black after 50 miles is do to when you change your oil you still leave around three quarts of old oil in your engine this oil can be removed

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14