Block Heater Cord

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... After you get the Trucks block heater cord/plug replaced or repaired.. use a Heavier Duty extension cord, 12 gauge at least.. or you might (will), melt the new cords prong into the extension cord plug again. Also, use the Shortest extension cord possible. These Block Heaters draw 1000+ Watts, with the matching Amp load. (Amps make heat)

Jus my .03 :dunno

Joe

1000 watts? is this right? that's about 2 refrigerators! I plug my 99 in almost all the time, has anyone noticed their electricity bill go up? I might not plug my truck in all the time if this is accurate.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
1000 watts? is this right? that's about 2 refrigerators! I plug my 99 in almost all the time, has anyone noticed their electricity bill go up? I might not plug my truck in all the time if this is accurate.

What do you think is going on with the block heater? It is heating up the coolant in the block. That is almost 600 pounds of iron and other metals that are getting warm. Basic physics will tell you that that is a lot of energy and if the motor is NOT running, the heat is coming from your AC plug.

Dave

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think is going on with the block heater? It is heating up the coolant in the block. That is almost 600 pounds of iron and other metals that are getting warm. Basic physics will tell you that that is a lot of energy and if the motor is NOT running, the heat is coming from your AC plug.

Dave

I thought about that actually. I just never thought about it in perspective i guess.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score

I thought about that actually. I just never thought about it in perspective i guess.

I have a timer on mine and the only time I use the block heater all night is when its well into negative temps. Most of the time I only run the block heater for about five and half hours 1:00am to 6:30 am when I leave for work and I have warm air when I am about five blocks from home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14