Help Needed Blown turbo?

Kirbco

kirbco
Reaction score
While towing a loaded car trailer I was heading up a hill the tranny downshifted it reved to about 2600 and made a large bang/clanking sound. I pulled over thinking I finally roasted the tranny but after inspection saw no issues. I was able to drive the truck home 75 miles towing the trailer with no power, 35mph up hill. Tranny is shifting through all the gears, I hear a slight turbo whistle still but all power is gone. It also doesn't feel or sound like a waste gate issue, I'm a decent mechanic but never messed with diesels, wont be saying that in a week. Truck has always been sluggish, tranny is a boo hiss and the torque converter doesn't lock much at all as far as I'm concerned. The guy I bought it from put the 4" exhaust but that was it. I'm told that the early production 99's had smaller injectors and with the big exhaust it just falls on its face. . I have been planning for a turbo/tuner/gauge upgrade so if it sound like a turbo any info on what combos work would be a big help. leaning away from banks, garret38? 1999 f250 4 door auto 7.3 Zoodad and 4" exhaust. best truck I ever owned!!!!
Any input would be great I hope I provided enough info,.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you might check out first ?
Inspect all the I/C boot connections.. you may have just blown a boot off.. or split a boot. It's best to remove all the boots, so you can do a Touchy~Feely inspection.

If they're the OEM boots.. yer lucky you've made it This far. ;)

Worth a Look see. :dunno

Joe

Kirbco

kirbco
Reaction score
I did a visual on the side of the road, looked Ok but was kind of hot. I will look tomorrow but the bang and metalic sound lead me to think it's more. Thanks for the responce I will look better in the AM. Kevin

dpantazis

Reaction score
if the turbo went, it would have shrapnelled and you you would not hear a whine now.

boots more than likely. check the black hose from the turbo to the sensor on the passenger side fender.

if you are working on the sheet metal plenum boots, tighten the clamps VERY carefully, the plenums are stamped sheet metal and can collapse.

early 99 had slightly smaller intake plenums and different injectors, but they do not really hamstring the truck.

have you checked your tranny fluid? color? level?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The metalic sound is weird. The bang from an IC boot blowing off will really get your attention, though. Don't ask how I know! Good luck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a visual on the side of the road, looked Ok but was kind of hot. I will look tomorrow but the bang and metalic sound lead me to think it's more. Thanks for the responce I will look better in the AM. Kevin

Sounds like you wana do some up-grades too.. Being yer boots are 12+ years old.. replaceing them All.. might be in order ? Also check the Inter Cooler it's self ? A Pressure Check/Test ?

There's plenty of DIY info in the Search section here. And we're here for any specifics ;tu

Joe

Kirbco

kirbco
Reaction score
Thank you much

I was a little panicked I guess when I did the highway side visual, you all were exactly correct it was a blown off hose to the intercooler. Sort of sat back down next to where it should be and I'm all set. Thanks.
I still want to upgrade turbo and such but will it be worth it to swap to a turbo that spools a little quicker to try to make it a little more driveable along with a tuner that if nothing else locks the converter? I have link someone gave me for 5-star tuning, I called them a year or so and with numbers of the computer would set up a tuner. Any reports? What do you diesel guys like in turbos, seems the banks is a little steep.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What you want is to change the impeller of the turbo. dpantazis has some information on this mod. I hope he will drop by.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a little panicked I guess when I did the highway side visual, you all were exactly correct it was a blown off hose to the intercooler. Sort of sat back down next to where it should be and I'm all set. Thanks.
I still want to upgrade turbo and such but will it be worth it to swap to a turbo that spools a little quicker to try to make it a little more driveable along with a tuner that if nothing else locks the converter? I have link someone gave me for 5-star tuning, I called them a year or so and with numbers of the computer would set up a tuner. Any reports? What do you diesel guys like in turbos, seems the banks is a little steep.

;tu

Glad thats all it was.

There's a member on here.. "Tailgunner" (Kent) that's a "Guru" (IMO) with the 99'z. He, along with "dp" can tell ya how & what.. to do.. to Perk up the 99'z.. at about any wallet level.

Maybe they'll jump in here soon ?

Anything Banks.. Is Over Rated & WAY Over Priced. 'nuf said. Jus' one Opinion.

Check out our Site Sponsors.. they have just about Everything you'd want, at more Reasonable prices.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14