Help Needed Blown turbo?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I thought my ears were "ringing"!! :lmao

The first suggestion I can make for anyone who has blown an intercooler connector is a crankcase ventilation mod. I blew a connector once, it wasn't fun. The timing of it could not have been a worse place or time!!

The stock crank case ventilation hose ties into the intake between the air filter and the turbo. It introduces oil mist into the intake air, the intercooler and the tubes & connectors. Eventually, the oily slime works it's way between the connector and tube, making for the tube to more easially blow out just like what happened to Kirbco. Additionally, it can crud up the inside of your intercooler causing it to loose efficiency. I'm not going to get into the discussion of ecological/political correctness of using a crankcase vent mod style that dumps the vented gases overboard vs a catch bottle. But as far as I'm concerned, doing the mod in one form or another, is a must to avoid a blown connector reoccurance. A tip I will pass along though, when removing the intercooler tubes for cleaning or ???, take a pliers and form a VERY SLIGHT bellmouth on the tube. In addition to making sure the tube and connector boots are clean & dry, a slightly larger diameter helps to ensure the tube doesn't pull out. (A better method would be to use a beading tool on the tube. Many better aircraft mechanics have one. :innocent)

As for tuning, if you have an early 99 (prior to a Dec 7ish 1998) build date, get a 99.5 PCM first. The early 99 tranny programiing sucks big time. At one time, DP Tuner had used PCMs one could purchase with a tuning program of your choice. I now get my tuning from Power Hungry Performance based on my costly trial & error experience with a couple of tuning places. But prior to any mods, get some gauges and an exhaust system (see my sig for a partial list of my mods.)

If you want to upgrade the turbo and do have an early 99 truck, short of retrofitting the entire turbo and induction system to a 99.5 style, the only turbo that'll "drop-in" is a Dominator 66 from Beans Diesel Performance.

Kirbco, I hope I've given you enough to chew on for a while. ;)

Kirbco

kirbco
Reaction score
I have finally taken a good look at the turbo on my 7.3, for 6 years this thing has run flawless!!!, I now see what you are refering to as the spider, pedastel and associated parts.
If I follow you correctly I have a couple choices but either way I should look for a newer pcm99.5+, that should help with the slugginsh shifts and lousy torque converter control.
1. Change the pcm and upgrade the turbo to the Dominator66 from Beans and with some proper tuning would be ok

2. I should find a wrecked 7.3, 99.5+ and take out the pcm, turbo, injectors, pedastel and spider, and induction pieces and just upgrade it once giving me a world of choices afterwords.
I guess the search is on for a wreck and an upgrade. If any of you know of anyone with the full change over I'm looking for hop right in and I 'll give em a call.
Tail Gunner, Couple of questions
1. what kind of increase will I see with the Dominator66 should I go that way?
2. is the pcm plug and play meaning if I find a newer pcm can I put it in with out changing anything? Would be a good first step. Thanks for the tips, ps Exhaust is already done with a Zoodad, only thing I've done so far

Last edited:

Kirbco

kirbco
Reaction score
Do any of you know which part number pcm number I should look for to get started with upgrades to 99.5+ 4x4 auto 7.3 I see a few on ebay and can I just change the pcm and see any improvement even in shift points? Thanks, Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14