BLUE SMOKE AND LOWEND TORQUE

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to pick your brains here. My 6.0 which I bought new has left a puff of blue smoke on take off from stop signs. The outside temp makes no difference and seems to smoke more with weight behind. Dealer has looked into this several times and has reprogrammed computer, cleaned the turbo and the intake tubes, also said the air cleaner was dirty, so I cleaned (was not that dirty) and made no difference, cant find the problem. Last time said to take the Air Raid intake off and try the factory again to see if still smokes. I had new turbo at 14,000 miles, other than air intake and strait exhaust, truck is stock. Now have 27,000 miles. Also noticed the coolant is below the MIN. mark, could this be something or not. I seen someone else had blue smoke on take off and lack of power, and found 2 bad injectors.

Could injectors cause blue smoke if bad, power yes. Also this truck has NO low end power, never has.

Thanks for any help!!! ;tu

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a gasser, I'd say you have bad rings. I really doubt it here though. When you say it smokes more under load, is that blue smoke or black?

It's possible that bad injectors will give you smoke.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
01 Platinum The turbo quit. Started up, truck sounded different drove down road and noticed and felt turbo was dead turned around went back home, called dealership took truck in and they replaced turbo.

Kleetus Color of smoke is blue on my 6.0 Powerstroke. The smoke is just at take off, from a stop, after pedal is pushed maybe 1 second after push of pedal. Stop and go traffic in town is when its most noticable.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my vote: injector(s), egr, glow plug(s), turbo. or any combination of the afore mentioned. sorry i cant pinpoint any better. just that i have had the same issue and had all and more on mine replaced and multiple times.. it could also be a bad batch of fuel. my smoking re-occurred a few tanks ago for a little bit and now it is gone again. i don't get it. good luck

atk

Reaction score
i also get the blue/white smoke at cold start from time to time...eveything checks out ok on the truck, so i have learned to live with it....there are others that have this issue...mine only does it in the winter, once the outside
temp. gets down to a certain point...:dunno (yet)

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your coolent getting low you may have a problem with your egr cooler and or your head gaskets. :sorry Keep an eye on your coolent level and don't let her heat up.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watch the gauge and the level. She is going into the dealership Thursday with a list of things to check. They have looked at this truck three times for the blue smoke issue. A friend said that if it runs fine and not getting worse then just keep driving it, I say BS on that, Its not supposed to smoke blue, there is something wrong and I want it fixed! It only has 27,000 miles on it. Do you think the Air Raid intake would cause the smoke? The only other thing I have done is the strait exhaust. I will update what they found.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58