BLUE SMOKE AND LOWEND TORQUE

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From talking to my stealerships they are saying that the straight pipes void the warranty. Just put my cat back in last night to stay legit. Taking the IC out this weekend so they have no problems when i take it in for service Monday. My 2 cents

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I watch the gauge and the level. She is going into the dealership Thursday with a list of things to check. They have looked at this truck three times for the blue smoke issue. A friend said that if it runs fine and not getting worse then just keep driving it, I say BS on that, Its not supposed to smoke blue, there is something wrong and I want it fixed! It only has 27,000 miles on it. Do you think the Air Raid intake would cause the smoke? The only other thing I have done is the strait exhaust. I will update what they found.

Low coolant would lean towards egr cooler,blue smoke and no power on accel could be lots of things including egr valve. To be honest if youre losing coolant on a 6.0 and its not coming out of the degas bottle or leaking externally its usually the cooler. Believe me not youre favorite job for us lucky ford diesel techs but gotta pay the bills. Not saying thats your problem but mark your degas bottle and keep an eye on it. Check it in the morning and if its losing coolant take it in. Blown egr coolers like to get the egr valves all wet and stick ect and it usually gets a oil cooler to boot.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low coolant would lean towards egr cooler,blue smoke and no power on accel could be lots of things including egr valve. To be honest if youre losing coolant on a 6.0 and its not coming out of the degas bottle or leaking externally its usually the cooler. Believe me not youre favorite job for us lucky ford diesel techs but gotta pay the bills. Not saying thats your problem but mark your degas bottle and keep an eye on it. Check it in the morning and if its losing coolant take it in. Blown egr coolers like to get the egr valves all wet and stick ect and it usually gets a oil cooler to boot.

Thanks, my truck is in the shop as we type, went in Thursday and as of now havent heard anything, will update when I hear something.;tu

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer called said the truck was done, went and got it, well...:rant the blue smoke is much worse now!

Before it was a puff of blue smoke on take off or after slowing down and leaving a turn now its a CLOUD!! They cleaned the CAC and replaced the EGR valve, the old valve failed the test, also updated the PCM. The truck is the 05 F350 6.0 6sp. only mods are the Air Raid air intake and strait pipes. They recommended to put the factory air intake back on and try. I stopped at another dealer and talked to the tech and he asked if I get fuel in one place which I do at the local Wal Mart. I will try another place next time. He also said they have several customers with after marked intakes and says that is not the problem. The truck only has 27,600 miles on it.

Any suggestions? The truck does run much better powerwise but think the PCM update made that.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
damn... thats tough luck...

ive noticed blue smoke at different temps... but usually only on start up...

update us after your next fuel up

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
i notice blue smoke every once in a while on start up. I run thru probably 2 tanks of fuel a week and i believe my blue smoke is related to the fuel. I dont get fuel from a regular place. I just get it when ever i need it.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your engine oil level? I have always known blue smoke out your exhaust to be oil entering the combustion chamber.

It could be leaky piston rings, valves or the injector could be leaking.

If your oil is low then something is leaking inside somehwere.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am watching the levels now, but why is it so much worse after they replaced the EGR valve? If it was the fuel, the smoke should be the same amount wouldnt it?:dunno

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Shut the truck down and pull the egr plug. Then start and drive. It will throw a CEL light, but just see how it runs. If it runs well, I would get a scanner, turn the CEL light off and call it a day. ;)

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try that. So its safe to run with the EGR unplugged for how long? I know you can block it off but still under warranty, dont want to get too carried away, however I want the truck fixed if you know what I mean!!:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58