BLUE SMOKE AND LOWEND TORQUE

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, the check engine light will only turn on for EGR problems in California emissions programs.

I would disconnect EGR and see what happens. I seriously doubt a dealer would void your warranty because the EGR plug fell off! :)

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lmao Fell off, kinda like the cat plugged up!:sly The EGR valve is in front and to the left of the oil filter right? I will try this tomorrow. :thanks1

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i notice blue smoke every once in a while on start up. I run thru probably 2 tanks of fuel a week and i believe my blue smoke is related to the fuel. I dont get fuel from a regular place. I just get it when ever i need it.

dang matty: 2 tanks a week. you must work for the government....:):)

as for the blue smoke issues: i feel your pain man. been there, heard all those excuses. i've had turbos, egrs and a long list of other things replaced. they gave me the 'fuel' excuse, however i have pretty much gotten fuel at 1 of 2 places (both the same store, one is just a truck stop) and use an additive and have not had any issues for many many months. NOW, it is smoking a tad bit again in the morning at start up but i gotta think it is the winter blend fuel and the cold. i would just keep an eye on things, and perhaps try what everyone is saying.
good luck

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I just got mine back and it has a bad EGR and Oil cooler. Warranty work got to love it. I would call around or talk to local diesel guys and see what dealer is the best to talk to. I found a couple of guys down here and they swear by a dealer because they will do work with a modded motor.

Im sure you did your homework but blaming the fuel is crap.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the bad fuel blame is crap in my opinion. If it was the fuel it would smoke the same as before I took it in. I am going to run it tommorow with the EGR still plugged in for awhile then unplug it and see what happens.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well are you still losing coolant? Im sure they rplcd the egr for egr codes and Ill be honest,if you werent complaining of losing coolant along with the smoking concern which they would relate as a driveability concern they would address it as a driveability concern(I.E. pull egr codes and put a valve in it). Problem is that if you are losing coolant then its obviously going somewhere(most likely through the egr cooler and coking up the valve). The problem is that working for ford or any dealer for that matter is we are not allowed to "sell warranty",(fix stuff that the customer isnt complaing about). That being said, your valve very well could have been coked up(slightly wet/carbon sludge) and the tech might have just slammed a valve in it not correcting the root cause(not necessarily his fault either). Lets face it you guys know as well as I do these 6.0's build up lots of carbon in the egr and intake passages thats why we have so many egr concerns,and yes it does go back to fuel. Not the owners fault, but these engines were designed and are Calibrated to run on high quality fuel and have minimum idle time. Its not Fords fault either-you can thank the mothers of america and the epa(same thing) for this. Ford and Cat,Chevy ect are all held by standards and are all going through the same problems trying to make perfume smelling trucks. Well anyways im getting off point but the carbon issues we are having along with the egr coolers of the 04+later 6.0's= coking deposits which can lead to lots of issues including repeated egr failures, and excessive blue/white smoke ect. Your best bet having spoke about the coolant loss before is to keep an eye on the coolant level and check for overflow evidence of the degas bottle. Any coolant concerns and take her to the shop and Specifically complain as such.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the bad fuel blame is crap in my opinion. If it was the fuel it would smoke the same as before I took it in. I am going to run it tommorow with the EGR still plugged in for awhile then unplug it and see what happens.

UNplugging the Egr will set a code and Cel and not recommended for friendly warranty service

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They checked the coolant and I thought it was low, they said not to go off the factory fill level lines molded into the tank. There are stickers on the side to go off of, the level was fine. I am going to the dealership and talk to them about unplugging the valve to make sure they know why I am doing this. I want to see if that is the problem, I want it fixed and they are lost too as to what the problem is. With as much as it smokes now I am embarrased to drive it. Now ist that sad to hear!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58