Blue Smoke

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a 1997 F-250 and when i started it, it blew quite abit of blue smoke till it warmed up, Its not a oily smoke so im not to worred just want a second opp. :thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If you can, cycle the key and check for voltage on both larger terminals on the GP relay. If you have full voltage across the relay then it might have one (or several) dead glow plugs. You can ohm the glow plugs out and I think a good one will ohm at around .2 ohms.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yeah, look at the illustration Crumm posted, if the engine still has the flip up cover over the Fuel filter canister, the GP relay is located on the left (passengers) side of the valley under the flip up cover. In my webshots there is also a picture of my engine with the cover off and you can see the relay in that pic. Dont just assume its working because the WTS light comes on and you can hear the relay click when you cycle the key. Check the voltage.

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the smoke :sorry bothers you-don`t buy the truck-keep lookin. I have a good friend who bought a 95 NEW. I asked him about the smoke condition I had with my 95. HE REPLIED THAT HIS SMOKED SINCE DAY ONE(when cold) AND THAT HE HAD TAKEN IT BACK TO THE DEALER SEVERAL TIMES. DEALER HOOKED IT UP AND SAID IT WAS NORMAL. To this day (200k) it still smokes till warm. In a perfect world, it should not smoke with all the electronics functioning properly. In new cond the sensors, mechanical components, turbo seal etc..should be doing their job 100% and no smoke-BUT it isn`t a perfect world??? Iwish I had NO blue/white smoke when cold, but I do till things warm up a bit and I have replaced parts and sensors. You may search and find one that makes NO smoke when cold-best of luck to you. I don`t wish :thumbs to go in debt that far, so I continue to run what I have, till she goes tango uniform. JUST my .02--Thanks-Joe

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It dont bug me it bugged my dad the co sighner, I bought a 1994 though with less KM on it, Did not run when i got it but had it up in about 15 min. the 94 PSD have alot of stuff in the same places as the old IDI's. GP relay on the fender.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine smokes a little on start up also.If you can find some Diesel Kleen by Power Service add a little to your tanks.That will cut down the smoke and help your fuel milage.I found some at Wal-Mart. Hope you get the truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14