Question Bogging noise... Turbo, Transmission, I don't know..

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
toobsluver- dont forget the trannies need to handle torque, not horsepower. our engines are throwing as much torque as a healthy gasser. i know there is much more to it than that, but our engines are putting down some really good torque numbers out of the box.

from your post (#9) i dont think its your trans slipping. im not in a good thinking state of mind though so i will need to revisit this thread later :D

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not in a good thinking state of mind though so i will need to revisit this thread later :D

:clap:;tu:sauced

Well, in my drag car my motor is building about 750HP and around 650ftlbs of torque. No I know my Excursion isn't building that sort of torque and my trans cost me $1,000 bucks to build and another $600 for the converter. I dunno, I just can't see how it's justified but oh well, it is what it is and I will have to pay what I have to pay.

I actually was talking to my friend today regarding the issue. He said he felt a shudder the day I was bringing my car to the track. I disagree. Also to help with pinpointing the issue. The noise comes from the center of the truck under the dash, near my feet. I can actually feel it in the floor. I have a code checker... Maybe I should run it?

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:clap:;tu:sauced

Well, in my drag car my motor is building about 750HP and around 650ftlbs of torque. No I know my Excursion isn't building that sort of torque and my trans cost me $1,000 bucks to build and another $600 for the converter. I dunno, I just can't see how it's justified but oh well, it is what it is and I will have to pay what I have to pay.

I actually was talking to my friend today regarding the issue. He said he felt a shudder the day I was bringing my car to the track. I disagree. Also to help with pinpointing the issue. The noise comes from the center of the truck under the dash, near my feet. I can actually feel it in the floor. I have a code checker... Maybe I should run it?

Do you have any gauges in the truck? Your code reader won't tell you anything if there are mechanical parts failing tho. But was your engine light coming on at all? What does the tranny fluid look like?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
your race car handles 650 ftlbs for 1/4 mile at a time. your truck tranny handles 12,000lbs and 400ftlbs going up the side of a mountain for 100,000 miles (or more...). im not trying to argue, i know exactly how you feel. just trying to justify a little bit of the sticker shock :)

when this bog happens, it almost sounds like the EBPV is coming on. things i noticed when mine came on was:
-lack of power
-change in engine tone
-drop in RPMS
-vibrating floors/firewall

an easy way to test this would be to unplug it. the plug should be on the left side of the truck, right near the turbo compressor housing. before you unplug it you should read, record, and clear any faults. unplugging it will set a fault, but it wont trigger a light or cause a de-rate.

the hissing you hear with the block heater plugged in is perfectly normal, its just like the noise a pot of almost boiling water makes.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any gauges in the truck? Your code reader won't tell you anything if there are mechanical parts failing tho. But was your engine light coming on at all? What does the tranny fluid look like?

No gauges, No engine light, I'm gonna check my fluid today.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your race car handles 650 ftlbs for 1/4 mile at a time. your truck tranny handles 12,000lbs and 400ftlbs going up the side of a mountain for 100,000 miles (or more...). im not trying to argue, i know exactly how you feel. just trying to justify a little bit of the sticker shock :)

when this bog happens, it almost sounds like the EBPV is coming on. things i noticed when mine came on was:
-lack of power
-change in engine tone
-drop in RPMS
-vibrating floors/firewall

an easy way to test this would be to unplug it. the plug should be on the left side of the truck, right near the turbo compressor housing. before you unplug it you should read, record, and clear any faults. unplugging it will set a fault, but it wont trigger a light or cause a de-rate.

the hissing you hear with the block heater plugged in is perfectly normal, its just like the noise a pot of almost boiling water makes.

I gotcha on the drag racing thing, no matter what it's still sticker shock. I'm gonna try that and disconnect the EBPV. Can you explain in more detail what it looks like and where it is? Is it an electrical connector? How many wires? Is it on the passenger side or the driver side of the turbo? Etc...

As for the hissing, is it supposed to still be hissing when I am driving? Like when it is really cold out and I am light on the throttle it still is hissing as I am driving. Especially if the engine is cold to warm. Not at operating temperature.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the plug to disconnect the actuation of the EBPV is a two wire connector at the base of the turbo toward the driver's side.

This is a very likely culprit for bogging and a hissing noise that is more common when not plugged in in cold weather.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the plug to disconnect the actuation of the EBPV is a two wire connector at the base of the turbo toward the driver's side.

This is a very likely culprit for bogging and a hissing noise that is more common when not plugged in in cold weather.

Or you can just unplug the EBPV sensor, that will stop it from working too. It is located just above your water pump behind the belt pulley( really easy to see). There will be 2 plugs there and it is the one on the passengers side of the motor. I did that with my dads old truck cause the EBPV wasn't working properly. Sometimes the sensors and the sensor tubes get plugged up with carbon deposits and they don't read exhaust pressure right so they don't actuate the EBPV how it is supposed to go.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now will I lose any power or have any problems by disconnecting the EBPV?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
you will loose the exhaust backpressure to aid in keeping the engine warm while driving, you will gain back the 2+mpg it was robbing every time it comes on. when mine was working, it didnt help keep the engine warm anyway. need to get a 203* t-stat for that. it is only designed to come on under light throttle in cold temps, so you dont need to worry about performance loss as it only robs performance when it is closing anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14