Question Bogging noise... Turbo, Transmission, I don't know..

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been raining buckets here in NJ haven't gotten a chance to unplug it. Hopefully today after work! Speaking of which I am late! :eek:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can just unplug the EBPV sensor, that will stop it from working too. It is located just above your water pump behind the belt pulley( really easy to see). There will be 2 plugs there and it is the one on the passengers side of the motor. I did that with my dads old truck cause the EBPV wasn't working properly. Sometimes the sensors and the sensor tubes get plugged up with carbon deposits and they don't read exhaust pressure right so they don't actuate the EBPV how it is supposed to go.

Ok so I tried that and two things, well three, One the hissing went away, two the bog hasn't, and three, I pulled the plug on the top of the water pump on the passenger side like you said and it threw a code or the check engine light came on. I still can't figure out what that bog noise is! Maybe it's a shudder? I dunno. :dunno

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I tried that and two things, well three, One the hissing went away, two the bog hasn't, and three, I pulled the plug on the top of the water pump on the passenger side like you said and it threw a code or the check engine light came on. I still can't figure out what that bog noise is! Maybe it's a shudder? I dunno. :dunno

Ok, so it's not the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. Check the tranny fluid and see what it looks like. You may have to drop the pan and look inside of the pan. If there is alot of foreign material or metal shavings then there is a good chance it is your tranny.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this and tell you what I have found so far. I have checked the fluid onthe dip stick and it looks clear. It's light red and doesn't smell burnt. The bogging noise I hear is everytime the transmission shifts now. I still haven't had anyone pinpoint what it is.

I just brought my truck into the dealership for the CPS recall and I asked them how much will it be for the trans to get diagnossed and he said close to $200! :wow So I said forget that. Not to get off topic, but I asked to get my old CPS sensor as a back up and he said no that he had to send it back to ford to back my reimbursement for the work they did about two years ago. Plus, my reimbursement wasn't gauranteed. Which I didn't like hearing. Plus I have no involvement of the reimbursement the dealership sends out all the information to Ford. I don't think I am going to get reimbursed.

Anyways, so before I brought my truck to the dealership to get the recall fixed, I had removed the "SuperChips" program from my truck and installed the stock one back in the truck. I did notice a huge difference in the noise when the transmission shifted. It wasnt as hard of a shift and I could barely hear the bogging noise.

The other thing I noticed (with the high performance SuperChips program installed), and I don't know much about lockup but I have heard of it, but when I am driving (doing about 45) I notice when I step on the gas lightly the truck hits the trans hard, then when I let off it lets go hard. It's hard to explain, and I don't know if that's really explained well enough but it seems like the transmission is loose and it is hesitating and then slamming into the OD gear. I don't know much :dunno about transmissions but that's the best I can do to explain what is going on.

I will be changing my oil next weekend so I am probably going to drop the trans pan to see what I get. I still have yet to call the trans people that were recommended in this thread to talk to them about the situation. It's driving me nuts because I am trying to buy a house right now and I really don't need another $5000 expense. It's gonna kill me.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention one other thing that I haven't mentioned before. When i am driving and the transmission is shifting and it starts to make that "bogging noise" during shifting, if I step on the gas hard, to the floor, I can make the bogging noise last for a few seconds. Say if I am entering the local freeway and it is going from second into third or third and into overdrive it makes the bog noise and since I am trying to accelerate quickly I can put the pedal to the floor and make that bog noise last for a good 2-4 seconds and it feels like there is no power/acceleration. So that might also help aiding in pin pointing the problem. :dunno

RacerX

AMERICAN INGENUITY
Reaction score
Factory Tech Monster Box
Suncoast Converters add your converter to the price on this page
Racer X Automotive you'll need to call or email for the whole trans price
John Woods

BJS is correct, and I can't be brand specific without breaking the rules.

It sounds like your bog/shudder has been isolated to beginning right after the shift points toobsluver. If so, the likest suspect is converter wear and TC clutch slip for what your describing. Both the tranny and converter need evaluating. Problems in the tranny itself can cause TC clutch slip or it can fail independently. We already know adding throttle at shift points makes it worse.

Try lifting off the throttle momentarily following each shift point and easing back on it. See if giving it a pause after each shift w/o throttle, then increasing throttle lightly back to speed will improve the problem at all.

Hopefully the Mod will allow the link below in the interest of expanding Torque Converter failure knowledge. Catastrophic failure of an Oem design converter with added billet cover and triple disc clutch demonstrated in a video: YouTube - 1 86ed T.C.

bigkahun74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my truck has also started with similar symtoms. only when i don't plug it in between 25-40 degrees. it bogs out and has no power and no go, it just bogs out into a idle for a few seconds then comes back too, then does it again and check engine light comes on. took it to the stealership they read the code and it was something about the turbo not having the correct pressure, so of course since i'm still under warranty they tell me that if it continues to act up then the will go from there. i put a new air filter in it 3 weeks ago and they took it out at the stealership and it was completely black. do you guys think the turbo is failing in my truck as well as possibly in toobsluver's ride.......

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has also started with similar symtoms. only when i don't plug it in between 25-40 degrees. it bogs out and has no power and no go, it just bogs out into a idle for a few seconds then comes back too, then does it again and check engine light comes on. took it to the stealership they read the code and it was something about the turbo not having the correct pressure, so of course since i'm still under warranty they tell me that if it continues to act up then the will go from there. i put a new air filter in it 3 weeks ago and they took it out at the stealership and it was completely black. do you guys think the turbo is failing in my truck as well as possibly in toobsluver's ride.......

Well I just also forgot some more information. See when my truck makes the noise, no check engine light comes on, no OD light flashes. It just makes the noise. It also doesnt matter what temperature it is. It even does it when its blistering hot out. (I'm pretty sure). Also the difference is with my truck it makes that bog/vibration noise every shift now. Even if I let off the gas, when it shifts, it does it a tiny bit. I should run the scanner and see what comes up just for ****s and giggles. But my question to someone out there is, should I remove the Superchips program before I go and plug in the scanner? Ugh this is frustrating! :dizzy :wflag :backoff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14