Help Needed Broke a Bolt off on the Differential Cover

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well the title says it all...I decided to change my differential fluid according to the instructions on guzzles homepage and all was going GREAT until i put the cover back on. Had all the bolts snugged up and got to the last one and before i could even put any force on it...it broke right off.

So now, i've gotta take off the cover, clean the rtv sealant off and somehow get the bolt out of there. I think it might be sticking out a tad, but if not I suppose I'll have to drill and tap it? Please give me some guidance and tell me what all I'll need to buy/do to get this #$%#$ thing out of there. I've already got the dyes that I would need and am going and getting ALL new bolts tomorrow. Anything else?:dunno

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
stop go buy an easy out and the correct size drill drill out the bolt deep enough to get the easy out to grab tap it in gently and twist it out just make sure you drill straight
you don't have to remove anything else

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
A little heat around the area of the offending broken bolt wouldn't hurt. If the e-z out breaks........:eek:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Make sure you center punch the broken DEAD CENTER and drill it STRAIGHT, as well as ALL THE WAY THROUGH the stud. if the stud is sticking out from the surface, try a vise grips on it first, it shouldn't be stuck in too bad being you just had it out. And, I'd use caution with heating the area, it can cause more problems than it's worth unless you are in a really bad situation. And yes, DO NOT break off the extractor, whatever you do. If the bolt will not come out easily, remove extractor, drill out and retap threads. (that is why I cannot stress enough drilling the dead center of the bolt.) Hope it spins out easy for you ;tu

JRJ04

Reaction score
dear god im nervous im gonna screw it up worse! I get off work in a few hours and then its off to the dealership to pick up the bolts and start over. Wish me luck!

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
those bolts are not that hard just take your time if you dont drill all the way through you won't have any debris in the housing saving an oil change again because you don't have to pull the cover off

dpantazis

Reaction score
grasshopper-

patience! whatever you do, do NOT force it! take a deep breath and THINK about each step. giving it some umpgh is one thing, forcing is another.

i think the best easy out there is are the Hanson - Irwin ones
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100509

and i have tried them ALL!

soak it good with penetrating oil ob blaster is good and cheap. kroil is better. in a pinch, heat the CENTER of the stud and use an old birthday candle and the melted parafin will wick in the threads.

take care, take it easy, have a cold one.

dp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14