Help Needed Broke a Bolt off on the Differential Cover

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
i think the best easy out there is are the Hanson - Irwin ones
IRWIN Hanson Hex Head Multi-Spline Screw Extractors - 522/532 Series

I agree, because they will slip in the drilled hole before they will break off, and usually they are successful. I also recommend the left hand drill bits :sweet

I will stand by drilling all the way through the bolt as well, its worth having to change the oil again (which I would assume the oil is not in yet being you were installing the cover when the bolt broke). I have extracted many, many bolts in my short lifetime :D

atk

Reaction score
I agree, because they will slip in the drilled hole before they will break off, and usually they are successful. I also recommend the left hand drill bits :sweet

I will stand by drilling all the way through the bolt as well, its worth having to change the oil again (which I would assume the oil is not in yet being you were installing the cover when the bolt broke). I have extracted many, many bolts in my short lifetime :D

DITTO....

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have lots of good info here and knowledge to help remove that bolt. Time is on your side with this one. Good luck and let us know how everything comes out.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need one of those drill bits and removal tool that you see on the info mercials.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well...I drilled it, accidently picked up a dye, tapped that in...and broke that off inside the hole!!! I drilled and drilled and drillled. Finally took a punch and rammed it in farther enough to where I would get the easy out in there. THANK GOD when i tapped the easy out in, it gripped. Bolt came out and original threads were fine.

Got it sealed up last night, but putting the oil in was a real pain cause i didnt have the right funnel. It only took 3 quarts but is supposed to take 3.5. Maybe i need to drive it around a bit and slosh the oil around? Any ideas? This should be the end of this thread after I get that minor detail figured out.

Thanks guys!!!

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Well...I drilled it, accidently picked up a dye, tapped that in...and broke that off inside the hole!!! I drilled and drilled and drillled. Finally took a punch and rammed it in farther enough to where I would get the easy out in there.

...which is another reason why you drill all the way through the bolt :D

Glad you got it out.

As long as you have it filled to the plug you should be good to go :sweet

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
It only took 3 quarts but is supposed to take 3.5. Maybe i need to drive it around a bit and slosh the oil around? Any ideas? This should be the end of this thread after I get that minor detail figured out.

Thanks guys!!!

Put a piece of clear tubing over the end of the rear-end fluid bottle...like the ones you see on M/cycle's or ATv's as battery overflow's. Squeeze it out thru that and you can see whats up w/out making a mess. :sweet

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea i dont see how that would be possible...the second i open the plug it begins to pour out.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just park on a slight hill, ramps or something like that to make sure that I have a bit extra oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14