Broken interior door handle

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Anyone know how involved replacing the inside door handle on the driver's door is? OBS and electric windows/mirrors.

Darn thing broke off in my hand the other day. makes getting out a lot of fun since I have to undo my truck club then put the key back to roll window up and down to reach out. :doh:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure on the newer trucks but on the 80-86 models that had the door handle low towards the center of the door and rocked up and away from the door, there was a single 7/16 or 1/2 bolt holding the handle on. It can be R&R with the interior installed. You actually had to remove it and the window crank before you could take the interior skin off the door. If it has the same style handle in your 97 is should be about a 5 minute job.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it with the door panel on...Scott is right, there is just one bolt holding it on. When I did mine, I went ahead & took the door panel off, it was just easier that way to see what you're working with.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Great, thanks. I was hoping I could do it with the panel on. I can feel the base when i poke my finger in there. Is there a nut on the back side of the bolt that I need to account for?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a bolt that holds on the handle. It should be right there in plain sight. You will need a flashlight to see it.

Dave

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a nut (loose)...that bolt should just thread onto the base itself.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58