Help Needed Bullydog advice...

painthousetexas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new here, but not to diesel trucks. I recently sold my Dodge Mega Cab Cummins for a 2008 SD F250 CC. I love the Ford, have had others prior, but sure do miss the economy of the Dodge.

I want to put my Bullydog on it (power pup triple dog downloader). I have the newest 2.5 update in it as of now. It always did well on the Dodge, but the new 6.4 PS is another beast. I am concerned whether Ford can ever tell if the unit had been installed, after uninstalling, of course. They (Ford) say the trucks have a 'smart chip' and it will document the connection of a programmer, even after uninstalling. Am I being sold some Arizona beachfront property here, or is there a possibility I will void my warranty? Bullydog says they will NOT be able to tell. I realize there are other programmers out there, and I see alot of negative comments concerning the Bullydog, so I am sure some of you will tell me not to use it. It is not currently in the budget to buy another, so I need to use this one for awhile, if that is possible.

Also, I am looking for a set of the factory polished aluminum 20" 8-spoke wheels to put on this thing, as it came with the 18" versions. Anyone got a set they took off? I'm in Houston, Texas. Thanks in advance.

Randy / Painthouse

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i can tell you that there are ways that ford can tell if there has been a chip installed. i can say that ive driven several 6.4s with a chip and i cannot tell a differance in power maybe fuel economy (havent driven long enough to tell) but not power. you need to weigh the pros and cons the engine is very expensive.

painthousetexas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, Mrpowerstrokeman, that is not what I wanted to hear. I drove the thing today with my car trailer (24' Featherlite, about 9000# full), loaded, and the economy sucked. 8.9 mpg at 65 mph. My Cummins was able to get at least 12. I know, not apples to apples, the Dodge was pre-emissions 2006. Any other opinions, or facts, out there concerning the use of a programmer on the '08 F-250?

Randy / Painthouse

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like they say if you want to play you have to pay. I have not heard of anybody running bullydog on the 08 PSD's yet. I can tell you that they are quick to make power with some very simple mods. I have seen some make 530+ HP with a tune and intake. If you don't have the funds to move to a tune then I would stay with the bullydog. Now you are just looking for economy right. Because the power pup does not offer an extreme mode for the 08's just yet. Just some thoughts and ideas.

Also welcome to SDD.com I am just north of ya

painthousetexas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the greeting. You are pretty close. So here are my issues:
-what is the difference between a 'tune' and a programmer, such as Bullydog?
-If I run either a tune, or a programmer; after uninstalling, can the dealer tell?

painthousetexas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, hit send too soon, anyway:
-The programmer company tech departments all say:" Ford will never be able to tell". I have had two dealers as well as one independent master mechanic tell me not to use anything, even an air filter, to modify the truck, or Ford WILL void the warranty on a nationwide basis. When you say 'pay to play' does that mean that I must be willing to give up my new warranty just to get better mileage?

What pisses me off is that we are supposed to hug trees, burn water in our cars and make the world green, but yet the EPA forces restrictive controls on our trucks that make us use MORE of the 'hated' oil by-product! At least the government will collect more taxes on the increased fuel sales- YAY!

Sorry, enough ranting. What can I do, or is it just nothing? I am driving as conservatively as I can and getting less than 10 mpg around town. Yes, the truck is brand new, so some break-in will help I hope; the truck does have all the current updates according to Ford.

I am having what I hope is a temporary case of buyers remorse. I do like driving the truck, and the interior is the best I have ever had in any truck to date. Lastly, I really appreciate that Ford did not take any bailout money, that was a contributing factor in buying a Ford at this time.

Randy / Painthouse
PaintHouseTx.com

focus1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.4 Mods

I am a ford tech I see these trucks on a daily basis once modified they are very hard to get to run right nothing wrong with mods if your going to work on it. Most dealer techs are so overloaded with diesel warrantee work any excuse to kick it out will do. I have also driven some modified 6.0 litre trucks that were rocketships. As for all the mileage complaints 03-07 powerstrokes were the only emission compliant light trucks made in the country the other manufactures paid epa penaltys in 08 everybody has to be emission compliant. lets compare same model year trucks when it comes to mileage also wait to you see the 2010 models another epa mandated step in less emissions.

painthousetexas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's my deal ( I really am not as dumb as I look): I understand they WILL void it WHEN they find out. My concern is whether programmers (like B-Dog or Hypertech), after a normal deprogramming, leave a trace that will cause a 'red flag' to go up at a dealership?

Focus1: as a Ford tech, do the computers in the truck have a permanent record of a programmer connection that cannot be removed when the programmer is uninstalled? The manufacturers I called (BD and Hypertech) said 'NO', that no trace is left. Ford Service managers (2) and a Master Mechanic (independent) that has been trained on the 6.4 says 'YES'.

I am not looking to race this truck, just get back some of my economy, and if some performance comes with it, so be it. I knew this truck would not do as well as pre-emission versions, but I just did not realize how poorly it would do.

I am not sure if there is a definitive answer to my question, therefore I will just drive it, not look at the fuel mileage indicator, and be happy that in this economy I am able to afford a new truck, so far anyway.

I am open to any and all ideas, suggestions, warnings...whatever. Take care.

Randy / Painthouse
PaintHouseTx.com

focus1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mods

I cant speak in absolutes but to my experience yes any program written to the pcm by ford or any one else leaves a tag and yes I can retreive it when checking on board data. When I plug in our laptop and software it always has to reconize your your software and tell me if a new program is available and needs to be loaded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg