Bump Steer

Discussion in '6.7L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by Chewman, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Chewman

Chewman SDD Junior Member

I have a 2018 F250 with almost 5000 miles on it. All of my Fords have had a steering stabilizer and this one doesnt. Bumps will move the wheel more than I am used to. Bumps my Challenger doesnt react to.

I have looked at putting an aftermarket stabilizer on it but no one makes it without already having a lift on the truck.

I have the stock 20inch rims and tires on it.

Is this an issue others are having?

Thanks

2. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

The stabilizer is attached to the AXLE and works on the AXLE. I don't see any interference with a lifted truck or a flattened truck. Suspension has nothing to do with the stabilizer, just the steering.

Chewman likes this.
  3. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

How much is the steering wheel moving? I'd be concerned that a stock vehicle has that much bump steer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chewman and DaveBen like this.
  4. DaveBen

You are right yellarCobra, it should not have any bump steer to speak of.

5. snicklas

snicklas Super Moderator Staff Member

When you hit a bump, does it move the steering wheel and move the front wheels enough to change the direction of travel? Or do you just get a jolt in the steering wheel that you’re not used to?

I’ve noticed on my rear wheel/4 wheel/all wheel drive vehicles, wither there are gearbox or rack and pinion steering, I get a jolt in the wheel on a decent bump, but the direction of travel is not affected. A steering dampner will help this some, but I think it’s somewhat the nature of the beast. I have driven many more non front wheel drive vehicles, than I am just used to the jolt. Just like the “hop” on a solid rear axle vehicle when hitting a bad expansion joint or a speed bump. The rear will give a little hop sensation..... for me it’s strange when I am driving something and it doesn’t hop......

Chewman likes this.
  6. DaveBen

I had a 1946 Jeep CJ-2A that I totally rebuilt from the ground up. I dropped a Buick V6, Turbo 400 Auto tranny, 4 wheel disc brakes and a 6 inch lift. After I did the 6 inch lift I noticed bump steer. After a couple of bumps I got used to it and I never changed to a dropped steering arm. I drove it like this for 6 or 7 years, mainly off road. No big deal.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. 01yellerCobra

I do remember when I first got my truck it would skitter over some bumps. I got used to it pretty quick. But changing the shocks seemed to get rid of that issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chewman likes this.
  8. Chewman

Chewman SDD Junior Member

It will move the wheel and change the direction depending on which wheel hits the bump. The wheel will move 1/8th of a turn or so. Once I correct it everything is straight again. I drive the same roads with my challenger and I dont get any of it at all. Every after marked steering stabilizer is listed as a prerequisite of a minimum of a 2.5 inch lift. I dont want to lift my truck. I've jacked up each wheel and rocked the wheel with a 2x4 while watching the joints. I dont see any slop.

DaveBen likes this.
  9. 01yellerCobra

In my opinion it sounds like the issue is you're comparing an 8000lb+ truck with solid axles front and rear to a 4200lb car with fully independent suspension. They're not going to act the same. My old route to work had a bump that would knock the rear end of my truck to the right every time if I didn't think about it. That bump never upset my Expedition or my Cobra. Although once I went to Bilstein shocks that bump never bothered the truck again.

I don't think the steering stabilizer is going to do what you expect. That being said given my general knowledge of them I can't see why you couldn't mount it in place. Even without the lift.

Chewman and 79jasper like this.
  10. Zorro

Zorro SDD Junior Member

Take some air out of the tires if your driving daily with no load the recommended 65lbs is rediculous - ad stabilizer all good ...

Chewman likes this.