By-Pass Engine oil & Transmission Fluid - Help in selection

jwplunkett

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Currently researching Oil BY-PASS filtration system for BOTH Engine oil & Transmission and wanted to get your / forum members experience / knowledge PLUS recommendation of an Engine Oil By-Pass system --- that if you were to purchase one today which one would you choose & why ?

-And as you all are surely aware many are offered on the open market

-Just to name a few
Amsoil Single
( AMK02 - Red colored unit )
For F250 Model Yr2006 Diesel 6.0 Auto transmission 5R110

Premo By-Pass

NOS Frantz

FleetGuard

Raycor ( OilGuard )

FS-2500 By-Pass

At present I am leaning heavily towards the FS-2500 By-Pass filtration system web link = fs2500.com

As always many thanks for your upfront experiences / recommendations / support in selecting By-Pass filtration system

ADDITION # 1 = I missed adding a statement that the FACTORY external transmission fluid front underneath Radiator would remain --- From what I have read this factory filter only capture the larger particles --- so the reason for my current research of another External that captures the finer particles

John from Colfax NC

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no need for one on the trans...the factory has already supplied one.

gotta ask yourself WHY you wanna use a by-pass oil filtration system...
if its to EXTEND the oil change intervals youll need to do some testing
periodically to determine if youve lost the additives or need to add some.

i cant personally justify the cost (the ROI is next to impossible to achieve)
when it cost me 40 or so bucks to change my own oil id need at least
10 (skipped) oil changes JUST to BREAK EVEN....and that doesnt take
into account the cost of the by pass cartridge filter cost (which is
sometimes 40 or more bucks alone).

theres something to be said for changing the oil (and filter) frequently
(out w/ the old, in w/ the NEW)

jwplunkett

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good morning Bushpilot ----

Without doubt you make a valid point ( Change critical fluids Engine & Trans often )

However for the Preventative Maintenance Junkies ( PMJ ) among us ( Me included )

I plan to follow the Factory Manual for Oil, Transmission and all other critical fluids

Have no desire to go to the extended oil intervals as stated by the Synthetic vendors

But I must agree that Synthetic is a better quality of fluid in my humble viewpoint

For the dollars I / we have invested into our vehicles plus the fact I plan to drive it beyond 200K miles I figured lets be on the safe side and ADD any and all by-pass filtration systems to capture the finer particles that get past the Factory Filters.

Also I do NOT plan to purchase any extended warranty plan ( Money wasted in my viewpoint ) --- spend those same dollars towards preventative maint measures --- I have a Military back ground ( US Navy ) and I must admit the Preventatine Maint System ( PMS ) documented procedures we followed by the letter kept our machinery in good working order ---- when out to sea in battle mode the Ship has to be totally self sufficient and depend upon the crew to fix any failures

Your thoughts / experience please ?

Have a great holiday season

John from Colfax NC

Last edited:

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Ask yourself how long you plan on keeping the truck. I plan on keeping mine for 7-10 years. Since I drive 40-50K/yr that will mean 4-500K on the truck. If all is well at thet point I may go more. In my case the cost of the FS2500 was easy to justify. Not to drag out oil changes but to help with overall longevity. I've been messing around with extending oil changes for a while and I'm torn on it's value. My OA's say I'm safe to run longer even after 10K on the oil but there are distinct noises I hear when the oil is used for that long. A fresh oil change also gives me instant mileage increases. When I figure in the $10K I spend on fuel a year, it sure makes a couple extra oil changes seem like to big deal. At this point my decisions are more based on time than $. If I hit 10K and I'm too busy to change it for another 2K - I'm not as worried as I would be with stock & dragging the 5K or 7.5 change interval out another 2K.

If I was a "new truck before warranty ends" guy, I would never spend the $ on a bypass system. It just takes more vehicle use to justify the costs.

When I bought my FS I also bought 20 filters so I'm covered for years. With shipping cost on each one if bought later- I would be looking at almost 30$/ea. Buying bulk cost me 20-22/ea.

I've made everything about my system available for the world. Just follow the link in my signature. I've posted my OA's, running costs, and installation info.

Good luck with your decision.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your gonna stick to the 5k recommended oil and filter change
interval you can CONFIRM the "health" and wear of the oil & engine
by having the old oil sampled (20 odd bucks per sampling)

a 450 dollar by pass system would pay for 20+ samples.

and cover you for over 100k miles.

if you go w/ a by-pass oil filtration system YOULL STILL WANT TO
DO OIL SAMPLING !

my oil samplings (every 5k miles) have shown that i COULD go
longer between oil & filter changes SOMETIMES (depending on
driving type/conditions)...and im showing NO additional wear
(metals or fluids)....they can ONLY be proved w/ sampling.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
From what I've read on other forums and some internet searching, the bypass oil filters, filter down to something like 2 microns. Way more effective than the factory filter. It's definitely on my Xmas list. I will be keeping my truck for a long time and since soot is the big killer with these engines, I want to eliminate as much as possible. I had my oil changed at just over 3000 miles(first one) I have just over 3000 miles on this oil and its black. Basically it means it's full of soot. A good quality bypass oil filter will pretty much eliminate that.

jwplunkett

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello Scot & BushPilot

Many thanks for your guidance / suggestions and support

As Scot mentioned within his return e-mail I too plan to run this Truck for Years to come so its money well spent adding the By-Pass filtration systems ( Engine & Transmission ) --- and based on this thread plan to purchase the FS-2500 by-pass filtration system and install --- It will also give me that extra piece of mind --- heck whats another 500 dollars or so to the total vehicle value

BushPilot --- yes sir I also plan to still do the Oil Analysis even with the FS-2500 by-pass filtration installed --- totally agree its GOT to be tested by an independent Lab to tell the whole story of quality of fluids.

I plan even after installing the FS-2500 to follow the factory change intervals ( 5K miles severe duty ) to once again be on safe side --- after a couple oil sample reports come back clean then and only then will I experiment with going to 10K MAX ---- I am with Scot on this matter --- regardless what the oil samples state after 10K miles I will change just for piece of mind

Happy holidays

Talk to you guys in the future on this forum

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read on other forums and some internet searching, the bypass oil filters, filter down to something like 2 microns. Way more effective than the factory filter. It's definitely on my Xmas list. I will be keeping my truck for a long time and since soot is the big killer with these engines, I want to eliminate as much as possible. I had my oil changed at just over 3000 miles(first one) I have just over 3000 miles on this oil and its black. Basically it means it's full of soot. A good quality bypass oil filter will pretty much eliminate that.

its a diesel...it happens...and it takes a WHOLE LOT longer
for it to happen in my 6.0 then it does in our 84 300cd...and its
got 150k miles on it...and there are plenty out there w/ 300k plus.

if youre changing your oil cause its black youll never get it out of
the driveway....sampling the oil will tell you if the oil is lost its
effective lubrication and itll tell you if YOU have leaking injectors
or coolant in your oil !

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 "X" with 216,000+ miles and over 210,000 miles with BY Pass System on engine. The engine has only had two oil changes. It would be only one but oil tech accidently drained oil @ 160K
I now change Full flow filter and By Pass filter every 20K the cost from AMSOIL to my home is $58.36 wholesale cost.
The oil analyzer kit is $21.00 including postage.

My engine has had the oil test about 15 times since new.
Both filter have been change many times My goal is to pass the 300K mark and hope to reach 400K with an OEM engine.

Very happy with By Pass system and my first diesel

LA350

Diesel Newbie
Reaction score
its a diesel...it happens...and it takes a WHOLE LOT longer
for it to happen in my 6.0 then it does in our 84 300cd...and its
got 150k miles on it...and there are plenty out there w/ 300k plus.

if youre changing your oil cause its black youll never get it out of
the driveway....sampling the oil will tell you if the oil is lost its
effective lubrication and itll tell you if YOU have leaking injectors
or coolant in your oil !
If you have soot problems an oil filter isn't going to help you any. Soot is a produced from blow-by, as is nitration. Soot also will raise the viscosity of the oil and prevent proper oil flow through the engine including the filter. It will put undue stress on the pump and increase the production of wear metal particles, none of which is good for the life of the engine.

Any extra filtration on the oil is a good thing. Filters grap the fine particulate which can cause larger particles to form in the component which will help to increase longevity in the component. How long the oil will last running inside a system that has a high filtration filters depends on what type of conditions the component is operated.

A high filtration system cannot prevent viscosity increase/decrease, sulfation/nitration, oxidation, lowered TBN readings, and the increased wear particle production that these condtions create.

Bottom line is if one really wants to increase the life of the oil it is best to have regular OA preformed on the component rather than guessing.

The Navy utilizes Oil Analysis too NOAP (Navy Oil Analysis Program) /JOAP (Joint Oil Analysis) as part of PMCS http://www.msc.navy.mil/N7/engmgmt/MSCOILANALYSISPROGRAM.pdf

Not trying to sell you on OA participation, but if you decide to not adhear to published Oil change intervals then the smart money is on a good, routine Oil Analysis schedule.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58