Cab lights installed!

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my cab lights delivered. I was going to use a knock out tool for the roof holes but this cost $135 at the local Lowes. I thought about just drilling, did this work ok for you and how big did you make the holes for the wiring?

Good Luck, I'm to much of a chicken to tackle that project :dizzy :dunno

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Reference the question on the wiring harness. I got my lights on Ebay for $109. I made sure I got the OEM lights from Ford and I made sure that it came with the harness. The lights have a receiver on the bottom of them and you need the factory harness to click into place.

I have my blue tape on the roof right now and am ready to start drilling. Im two beers deep (building courage but not getting crazy with it) and now Im on the internet trying to verify that I have the correct dimensions. (If I dont stop second guessing myself Ill be here till midnight with a drill in my shaking hand, leaning over my roof sweat dripping from my forehead and unable to push the bit through the metal...)

Last edited:

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got the lights installed, no problem. The factory wiring harness worked perfectly. The retaining clips were exactly lined up with the holes in the factory roof supports. I used a graduated bit (as you guys reccomended) for the 7/8" hole in the center and a 1/4" bit for the two screws. Everything went smoothly until I got to the bottom, went to connect the harness, and discovered that I was sent the wrong harness.

The female connector on the truck is the same shape as the male end on the harness but the one on the truck is about a 1/2" narrower than the one on the harness. Can I get an adapter or do I have to replace the entire harness???

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the lights installed, no problem. The factory wiring harness worked perfectly. The retaining clips were exactly lined up with the holes in the factory roof supports. I used a graduated bit (as you guys reccomended) for the 7/8" hole in the center and a 1/4" bit for the two screws. Everything went smoothly until I got to the bottom, went to connect the harness, and discovered that I was sent the wrong harness.

The female connector on the truck is the same shape as the male end on the harness but the one on the truck is about a 1/2" narrower than the one on the harness. Can I get an adapter or do I have to replace the entire harness???

Replaceing the Whole harness for the sake of the one connector ? I'd replace the connector(s). Places like Autozone have them.

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I checked at Discount Auto and he said I would have to go to Ford for the connector (I will check Auto Zone tomorrow)

I also contacted the guy who sold me the lights and harness. He is telling me that I am looking at the wrong connector under the glove compartment. I have removed the triangular piece of plastic that sits on the side of truck to the right of the passengers right foot (directly in front of the passenger side door). I am attaching two pictures of the connection. One shows the black male end from the wiring harness and the gray female end that is on my truck. The other shows the location of the connector in reference to the passenger side door (the red 'x' is the glove compartment, the red arrow points to the passenger door bottom hinge, and the red square is around the female connection on the truck)

Does anyone have any input on this. I checked at the Ford dealer and he says you cant buy just the end. I can get a new harness for $40. (now that I think about it, cant I simply cut both connectors off and wire nut the wires together???)

[/ATTACH]

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csarver;230124 (now that I think about it said:
There's No reason why you couldn't wire the connections together.. Solderless (crimp type) connectors would be a better way... than wire nuts..JMO.

Did those instructions tell you the cab light connection was on the passenger side ??

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes sir it did. I was looking at the right connector I just ended up with the wrong harness end.

buuuuut its all fixed up now. I thought to myself, WWOMD, what would my old man do? I thought back to when I was a 16 year old kid trying to keep my Mustang running and thought, how would my Dad have fixed this, and it was all cleared up. I cut both ends off, twisted the wires together, wrapped them in electrical tape, stepped back and beheld my cab lights blazing away. BOOMYOW BABY! I love it when I prove that Im smarter than my vehicles.

Thanks for all the help fellas. I very much appreciate all the input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14