California Smog Check

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I didn't like it either PB. I let him know it Too !!

With a load on it (?) maybe. No load (?) No way, IMO.

When I got home, I scanned it for any over rev codes. No Codes found. But I STILL don't like it. :rant:rant

I'm guna see if I can't navigate through the C.A.R.B. bureaucracy and let someone know about it too.

Anyone else have an opinion on WOT.. No Load.. 3 Times ???

Joe

on an electronic controlled engine, its NOT supposed to go past the over rev mark...however, i beleive a no load wot cant be good on it.
when i questioned the fl rules...it was funny because they weren't even doing the test IAW the established epa rules or the fl epa rule for opacity
its just a pay ola imo

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on an electronic controlled engine, its NOT supposed to go past the over rev mark...however, i beleive a no load wot cant be good on it.
when i questioned the fl rules...it was funny because they weren't even doing the test IAW the established epa rules or the fl epa rule for opacity
its just a pay ola imo

I sgree Robert: A Payola.. Pure'n Simple.

Spent 2 hours this AM trying to get through to someone at the C.A.R.B. who understood my concerns (or even Cared), about the WOT crap.

NO LUCK.

Next year.. I'M going to see if I, can do the throttle/opacity thing. I can live with bringing it up off of Idle.. then Reving it up [good].. but NOT >WOT< from Idle.

:dunno We'll See..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
These engines should take it no problem. They are governed and will not rev past the factory limit.

Dave :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, two can play this game, just fix your truck to limit the rev's to about
2000 or 2500 rpm. That would fix him up.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, two can play this game, just fix your truck to limit the rev's to about
2000 or 2500 rpm. That would fix him up.
Doug

:lmao That might work too.

I think i'm guna look around for another Smog Check place too. I've used this shop, for my gassers for years.. but the guy that does the smog stuff is just Hired to do Smog checks, I think.. I don't feel like he's very Wrench Savy.. Drive thru work Bay.. Clean work pants & shirt, no shop rag, wore gloves, bright flashlight..that worked, clean Coffee cup on it's own shelf, called me Mr. ..... that kinda thing.

Don't like to Stereotype.. but remember... I'm an Ol' Guy. ;):D:)

On Edit: Found a CDMV/CARB Web Site with a "How are we Doing" feedback feature. I let them know how they are doing, as it relates to this Opacity test proceedure (nicely).. we'll see what they say. IF they reply.

Last edited:

arizona

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow!!!!!!!!!! The smog inspector needs to look at the guidelines again. The BAR snaptest clearly states proper procedure is to quickly rev engine to 2k to 3k rpms only. Not wide open!!!!!!! You can see the test information online on the Diesel Smog Check Inspection Training web page. Look for the link on The California Diesel Smog Test and click on smog test.

Last edited:

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through the Cali Smog Test. What a joke. I a little homework first. I hid the controler for my DPTuner chip under the dash set on the stock program. Got the CARB EO number for my AFE stage and took it in. He asked if I had I chip, Of course I told him no. He accepted the paperwork on the AFE. Checked everything out and said I failed the visual test. He said I had a boost gauge! He told me I could not have anything splice into the line going to the sensor. He told me to disconect the fitting. hide the pressure tubing, replace the hose and remove the gauge from the pillar pod. I did the things he required and went back an hour later. He did his "visual inspection" hooked it up the to the computer. 10 minutes later he said I passed. He didn't even do the Snap Test. I asked him about it and he told me there was no black around the rear of the truck or on the pipe so it was OK. $50 later I'm down the road. I should be grateful he didn't check further but THE BOOST GAUGE!!!!!!

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
Wow...these guys never fail to surprise me with the things they dream up? :clap: I'd like to see which book he got the info about the boost gauge connection. :dunno I'd be finding me a new shop the next time the smog is due.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through the Cali Smog Test. What a joke. I a little homework first. I hid the controler for my DPTuner chip under the dash set on the stock program. Got the CARB EO number for my AFE stage and took it in. He asked if I had I chip, Of course I told him no. He accepted the paperwork on the AFE. Checked everything out and said I failed the visual test. He said I had a boost gauge! He told me I could not have anything splice into the line going to the sensor. He told me to disconect the fitting. hide the pressure tubing, replace the hose and remove the gauge from the pillar pod. I did the things he required and went back an hour later. He did his "visual inspection" hooked it up the to the computer. 10 minutes later he said I passed. He didn't even do the Snap Test. I asked him about it and he told me there was no black around the rear of the truck or on the pipe so it was OK. $50 later I'm down the road. I should be grateful he didn't check further but THE BOOST GAUGE!!!!!!

What kind of gauge do you have? All the boost gauges I had were tubed to the high PS side of the turbo. I could under stand the spliced sensor wire. Is your boost gauge electronic?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through the Cali Smog Test. What a joke. I a little homework first. I hid the controler for my DPTuner chip under the dash set on the stock program. Got the CARB EO number for my AFE stage and took it in. He asked if I had I chip, Of course I told him no. He accepted the paperwork on the AFE. >Checked everything out and said I failed the visual test. He said I had a boost gauge! He told me I could not have anything splice into the line going to the sensor. He told me to disconect the fitting. hide the pressure tubing, replace the hose and remove the gauge from the pillar pod. I did the things he required and went back an hour later.< He did his "visual inspection" hooked it up the to the computer. 10 minutes later he said I passed. He didn't even do the Snap Test. I asked him about it and he told me there was no black around the rear of the truck or on the pipe so it was OK. $50 later I'm down the road. I should be grateful he didn't check further but THE BOOST GAUGE!!!!!!

BS flag. UP

I think you were simply (sadly) Jacked Around by a untrained, inexsperienced guy, on a Power Trip.. Trying to exsert his authority.. covering it with his Ignoance.

BS flag: Down

I'd find a new Smog shop. I did.

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58