calling any/all

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no joe- as i said it only runs on the timer for 7 out of 24 hours...
xmas lite draw that much power????

:lmao just mess'n.

You'd be surprised at how much power Outside Christmas lights pull. I >HAD< 6 strings of those Ice cycle thingies strung around the Roof Eves.. They would make a 12/3 exstention cord.. warm to the touch.. not hot, just warm. Between them, the Tree and cook'n Turkeys, Hams, Cookies, Cakes, Pies and Holiday meals.... on an electric stove, Our power bill would be +/-, $100.00 More during Holiday Season.

SOoo.. This year, I went LED. LED for the Ice-cycle thingies and the Tree.. I'm waiting to see the Dif. And as we Post... I'm self-installing a Gas Stove.

I'm not a Miser, by any means.. But when it comes to the Electric & Gas Company ?........ Well, lets just say.. They don't like me much:D:sly;):lmao

I'm sure there's an *, or a Code on our account.;)

We're on their list of customers that WILL NOT accept an "Estimate". :sly

Joe

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
well, it would only have been 3 strands of 'tree' lites she had running 24/7. as for my timer, i sure hope it is operating correctly.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think'n even just 7 hours @ 1500 watts, Every Day, for a complete billing cycle.. is something to be concidered.... as far as Cost ?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1500W X 7 hr = 10.5 Kwh/day X 30 days = 315Kwh/bill X 13¢/kwh = $40.95 on your bill.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1500W X 7 hr = 10.5 Kwh/day X 30 days = 315Kwh/bill X 13¢/kwh = $40.95 on your bill.

Then factor in the additional holiday stuff and the "Estimate".....:dunno

(Thanks Brandon)

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Red how new is your hot water tank?? My power bill went nuts too last year, and the water tank heater shorted out and jacked my bill up.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either have a parasitic draw on some appliance somewhere.......
OR something is wrong with your meter.

Sounds to me that your meter might be off...

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Dan,

The 50 amp circuits in the garage for welders are likely 220V outlets and will not work for your block heater which is 110V and the 15Amp circuit is adequate for that. The block heaters pull about the same power as 1/2 of an electric water heater. which should cost you roughly $1-2/day for use for 7 hours.

I would suggest checking your refrigerators and freezers for ice on the coils as this will make them rather inefficient. What are you heating with? Oh and post this in the forums you'll get lots of good ideas on where to go and look for power sucking items. Crumm had a thread similar a year or two back.

Do you have an electronic meter or one of the old ones with a spinning metal disc?

short story for everyone...i am leaning towards a 'hot tub' issue...found it off today but breakers are all on.....

according to all UL stickers:
timer: 15amp/1875w/120vac/60hz
xmas lites: 120v/.4A/60hz (then this would be x times the number of strands to get total amps)

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
no joe- as i said it only runs on the timer for 7 out of 24 hours...
xmas lite draw that much power????

Judas Priest on a BIKE!!
2-3 hours is good...
hell, wanna trade? 1500 watt block heater + 1500 watt tank heaters for the horses = $450 electric/gas bill for Dec15-Jan15...

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
jl-let me clarify....not for 7 hours straight....3 hrs. in morning before i go to work, and in 2 hr. blocks 2 hours before i COULD be called into work....

IT HAS BEEN BUTT COLD HERE LATELY....

oookkkeeeeyyyy ddddooookkkeeey -
so i found the hot tub not functioning tonight. it was 'off' and all breakers were on. had wife flip main breaker and bang she kicked in and i went to look at the meter and it was burning it was spinning so fast...thinking i have a 'pump' issue...AND also a meter issue - due to the fact that i have been tracking the readings since saturday and it is up one nite, down the next, up a little later in the day, down again later....the electric co. lady told me the only way to know the meter is bad is that the numbers would go down....well - i think i got that covered....

i do want to throw out a special thank you to desert50eagle......:thanks2as an electrician and somewhat local to me we spoke on the phone and he gave me some good info...that and he has a great first name too....:sly

i will keep all posted as to waz up.....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58