Can billet aluminum be bent?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the key is TAKE your time and do not OVERHEAT the metal and MELT it[/QUOTE said:
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAZ GUNA SAY....:roflmao. Nice Place. Friendly Folks. It's all about shareing knowledge and information. I like that.

Glad you got an answer Crumm.

:sweet :thumbs :sweet

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
And there you have it................. nobody even had to say the wrong thing and look like an idjit.

I haven't made it that far yet, patience grasshopper

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
And there you have it................. nobody even had to say the wrong thing and look like an idjit.

Okay..... I got it. ;) :)

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Beware!

Just because it says you can doesn't mean it is going to be easy. I have had a little experience bending aluminum, and let me tell you, every time I did it i kept the TIG welder nearby to weld the cracks when I was done.:D It is the nature of the beast.

I was using a metal brake to bend plate. It cracked 7 times out of ten, even though i took it slow and used heat. No biggy when it cracked, I just had my buddy TIG the cracks for me (never did figure out how to do that worth a darn, myself. Too many pedals and other crap to deal with) :rolleyes:

That said, take your time. Don't use so much heat that you melt it, but get it hot and keep it hot for a while before you try to bend, so that it becomes "heat soaked" and the heat is evenly distributed. Cold spot=cracks. Then, apply pressure slowly while applying the heat, until it is in the shape you want. Keep heat on it for a little while (this will help relax the fibers and keep it from relaxing or springin back once you release the pressure which is more a problem with steel, but aluminum does it some, too).

Good luck! (Oh, BTW, you will have to keep a propane torch on it for a long time to melt it, (if you can at all, depending on alloy) so don't be too worried about that).

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
6061 will bend, but unless you have the right tools, it's going to look like your dog ate it for lunch. It's a little on the thick side to be bending, specifically because there is a hole in the middle. I know of a good machine shop that could probably do it for you ;) . I'm new to the site and am thrilled I can offer services now. Send me a PM if you want it done. As for everyone else, my family owns a CNC machine shop, we can help you with any parts needed to be made. I might have been shot on TDS for that one!. Send me a PM or post up what you need and I'll take a look.

Dan

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
4drdually, That sounds like a good deal. What do you figure it would cost to bend it? I am sure it doesn't weigh much so shipping would not be a big deal.

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
Here's what you do. Call anytime during the week, 7:30-3:30 EST at 1-609-883-0800, ask for Steve Harrison. That's my dad. Tell him Dan told you to call. He'll help you out and get you on your way. I know our cababilities and what we can do. He's the one to talk about for pricing though.

Dan

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
Beware!

Just because it says you can doesn't mean it is going to be easy.
Well it wasn't easy but I got it done :thumbs

I took my big propane weed burner and heated it up real good while noticing that aluminum does not change colors or anything when it gets hot..strange but when you touch it you can tell that it is really hot:nono: I then bent it a slight amount and then went back to heating it. After doing this about four times it was close to the right angle so I let it cool for a while until I got tired of waiting then I threw it outside in the snow for a quick cool. After a quick check for fit I found that it needed a little more angle so back we went with more heat. A few more times with the torch and pry bar it was about perfect. To finish it off I had to grind the V in the backside just a little to fit the bow of the boat but now it looks like it was made for it because well it was :sweet I also had to sand it all down and still need to re-polish it due to marks from c-clamps and channel locks.

I hope to get it and the winch all mounted up in the next week or two so if I haven't bored you enough already with this project I will post a picture up when it is done....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58