CB Radio

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have officially had the new 6.0 for 24hrs now and i am already planning mods :D I have ordered a exhaust and that should be in beginning of next week. But i am thinking about adding a CB Radio. I am wondering: what brand of CB radio and brand of antenna is good, and where to mount the CB radio? I should be getting some pics up soon within a week or so.

Thanks

BigRedJeep

Mind if I Smoke
Reaction score
i was thinking about the roof somehow just haven't figured out how to do it with out messin up the headliner
cobra is a good brand

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i think it would look cool up there but i cant think of a way to do it that is not a pain and wouldnt require modification to the headliner (plus im not sure if i could since i have a sunroof). im thinking probably somewhere on the floor or lower dash. does anyone know if Firestik antennas are good? i was looking at them and i like they way they look. not too big not too small.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Last edited:

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Cobra is my preffered brand. I've heard good things about Firestick. I've also heard bad. I don't have any experience with them. I'm runnin twin 4' RoadPro whips on my Ranger and they seem to be good. That's my .02

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i was thinking about the roof somehow just haven't figured out how to do it with out messin up the headliner
cobra is a good brand

SHELF-IT

i had one, and secured my CB and 6 disc changer in it. a lot of people LOVED IT, i got tired of the CB, and replaced the cassette/6 disc with a single cd unit, so i have since removed it. it worked well when i had all the stuff though. :sweet

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount stuck on the roof, but I am going to go with a permenant mount Wilson 1000 soon. Wilson or K40 are good antennas...either one.

I've had several different kinds of antennas mounted in the bed, and they were OK, but none that really stood out.

Remember this, the antenna is the most important part of the set up...a quality antenna, with good coax, and properly tuned will make the cheapest radio work better than a high dollar radio on a crap antenna.

As for radio, in my Duty I've got a Cobra 18 whatever it is...the smaller one that they had at Walmart. I've got an old Midland in my YJ, and I've got a Cobra 29LTD that was in my old buggy. I like the 29LTD very well, and would rather have it one in my Duty, but the size was a problem...with the console, bucket seats, and two shifters on the floor, the only place left for a radio was over the little trash bag hook thing.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Remember this, the antenna is the most important part of the set up...a quality antenna, with good coax, and properly tuned will make the cheapest radio work better than a high dollar radio on a crap antenna.

Give that man a cigar!!! :sweet

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my CB mounted to the back of the center console. Like grounghawg said, there isn't much room left in a regular cab with bucket seats and a stick shift. I'm running a Midland radio that was my grandfathers along with two roadpro antennas. Works pretty good so far.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give that man a cigar!!! :sweet

;tu I'd give groundhowg 2 cigars and also agree.. the antenna, Type and style, it's location, and how well it's tuned is the most important thing, when yer only dealing with 5 watts of transmit power.. on the AM band..

I have my CB mounted to the back of the center console. Like grounghawg said, there isn't much room left in a regular cab with bucket seats and a stick shift. I'm running a Midland radio that was my grandfathers along with two roadpro antennas. Works pretty good so far.

I'v mounted my CB on the Front of the center console.. due the very limited locations in my 2K 6 speed. Fabed some bracketry that made me loose the little Cubby that was there, but mounted a Radio Shack 6" CB ext. speaker In the cubby, behind the CB radio & bracketry. Works very well there.

Mounted the (Fire Stick) antenna using a Ball mount.. at the lower, driver side, corner of the rear window, (YES I drilled holes in the body:eek:) tuned the antenna SWRs to less than 1. I can TX and RCV 2-3 miles.. which is all I was wanting.

With the advent of Cell phones ? I just wanted to be able to communicate and listen to the "Road Talk" while RV'n.

Brands ? I don't wanna start any Wars here but... in my 40 years of mess'n with CB radios.. in every truck.. and most cars I've had.. With Brands ? Looking Back ? NONE have REALLY been any better than the other. The FCC takes care of that: 5 watts Max TX power. (if you stay Legal, of course;))

I have a 19 year (now) old Radio Shack TRC-??? that I had lay'n around when I bought my 2K.. it was thin in enough to fit. SIZE matters ? It has served me well.

Jus my .03 ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58