CCV Mod issues

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
I have a question about this mod. The CCV is on the drivers side and the exhaust is on the passenger side so, at what point under the truck do you route the hose to tap into the exhaust? I would think you would always want the hose to be 'falling' so that any oil that comes out of suspension will flow down hill and out and not pool in the tube. Also, the exhaust is rather HOT after exiting the turbo and PVC tubing melts easily so I would think that the junction should be in the tail pipe, after the muffler. Well, how do you clear the driveshaft without routing the tube over the driveshaft?

Use 3/4" Heater hose. turn your dog house around backwards, route hose up over rear of master cylinder down firewall, follow inside of frame, terminate to open atomosphere. since you have created a small incline just out of the dog house, any oil will drain back into your dog house and back into the valve cover. I have been running this mod for about 3 years now and have never had a spot of oil in my driveway. you will see some sm0ke from under the truck when the wind is right and you are just sitting and idleing. Use zip ties to tie the hose to the frame rail. I terminated mine just in front of the fuel tank.
When you do this it is a great time to do a 6637 filter. Remove ccv vent from intake tube, replace with a 3" long piece of 4" exhaust pipe, remove crappy stock airbox and add a 6637 filter. zip tie the ambient air sensor up to somthing near by.

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I understand HOW to do the mod from the engine back to the tank, it's the part about tieing it into the exhaust that I was wondering about.
I may not worry about that and just terminate it in front of the tank as bdrummonds suggested, an Alabama boy can't be wrong...especially one from Elmore Co.

The 6637 air filter mod was the first thing I did to my truck. I then added gauges, a super chip programer and a 4" exhaust.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way you run it into the exhaust is by using a one-way check valve common in early GM's and popular in drag racing (Have one on my mustang), but the system is then going to work on pressure differential...i.e. the CCV pressure has to be in excess of the exhaust pressure for the valve to open to release CCV gases thus creating a back pressure of gas in the CCV...

Am I thinking too much into it and there isn't that much pressure created? I think I remember reading about someone installing it into their exhaust and the truck running funny, vented it to atmosphere and it ran like normal.
Thanks,
Jesse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58