Ceiling texture

CoryNM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Cory,

If you think there may be asbestos in the texture you need to get it resolved BEFORE signing on the home. Thats not something you want hanging over your head (no pun intended) as a home owner. Dont put you or your family in that position, theres a reason asbestos is no longer being used, it will kill you.

Thanks for the website...very helpful. I was under the impression that if it does contain asbestos, and we decide to leave it alone, there is no harm? And if we then decide to paint over it, the fibers will be sealed in by the paint. Is this true?

We have the home inspection on Friday. I will ask if I can scrape off a few square inches of the texture for testing. That way, I can be absolutely sure before we sign for the house.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I was under the impression that if it does contain asbestos, and we decide to leave it alone, there is no harm?

That is my understanding as well. But the way I look at it you at some point during ownership will fool with this stuff in one way or another, (ding it moving something in or out of the home, repair a crack etc etc...) so it may be best to be fully informed before signing on the dotted line. My home has this stuff on all the ceilings as well. I dont care for it either.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cory, you can sheetrock over the entire mess and seal it off from the rest of the room. Just use some 2 1/2" screws to attach some 1/2" drywall over the old. You will have to find the ceiling joists to attach to, but a stud finder will work wonders. You will have to find someone who does drywall taping to do the finish work and you can paint. Do not try to do the taping yourself. It is a lot harder to do than you can imagine. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14