CEL coming on at 2000 RPM

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just helped a friend install a Wildman chip in his 02. When he gets into the throttle on the daily driver tune the CEL comes on at about 2000 RPM. He doesn't have gauges installed yet, so I'm not sure if this is just being caused be overboost or not. After he lets out of the throttle, the lite goes out after a minute of two. Does this sound like the normal overboost problem or not? Any other ideas? Truck runs great with Tony's tunes. Can't wait to get some of my own. Thanks for the help.

JRJ04

Reaction score
it could be the infamous icp code. Does it only do it when he jumps on it or does it still happen even when he slowly rolls it up? I really doubt thats overboost. At 2k rpms im making anywhere from 8-12 lbs of boost. I dont think a CEL will come on until around 17.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comes on between 2000-2250 RPM, but doesn't do it all the time. Did it once while passing another car and did it once when crossing a mountain. Are ICP codes common with a chip? The ICP sensor and regulator were changed in the truck about a year ago. Truck isn't defueling when the light comes on, and nothing seems to be different in the way it is operating, just the light comes on and then goes off after a minute or two.

Yeah, I know, chip and no gauges. He's getting gauges next, even though I told him to get them first. He's not doing anything crazy with it, just driving back and forth to work, so I think it will be OK until he gets the gauges in.

HighwayPrisoner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The cel will come on when approx 20lbs or more boost is produced, and the cel will go out in a few minutes. It is a normal function when that amount of boost is produced, and the PCM will start defueling the motor. This is a normal function of the PCM, to protect the motor. A boost fooler is need to eliminate the CEL, and defueling. The chip is causing the CEL to function. Remember, over 27 lbs of boost is exceeding the stock garretts design limit. The map sensor is triggering the CEL.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Get gauges!! You will cook the motor.

Dave

Wildman's tunes are fairly agressive, and I'm bettin' your buddy isn't keeping his foot off the go-pedal..
probably the ICP code, like Jourdan said, which is the HPOP running out of oil

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. He has been running in the stock setting since the light has been coming on. And he now believes me that he needs guages to be running a chip like this. Gonna leave it on stock until he gets them.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. He has been running in the stock setting since the light has been coming on. And he now believes me that he needs guages to be running a chip like this. Gonna leave it on stock until he gets them.

VERY SMART MOVE on his part ;tu

As we All know.. If yer guna start Fiddle'n with these things.. GAUGES are the FIRST thing to install. An Absolute.. GOTA HAVE'm FIRST.. deal.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg